"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 01-18-2008, 12:20 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

In addition to not having enough protein in your ingredient list, you need to be aware that only animal proteins are complete proteins, meaning they have all the amino acids your body needs to function properly. You can combine vegetable sources of protein to create complete proteins. Here's a page with good info and examples: Incomplete vs Complete Proteins HTH.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:01 AM   #22
Sue-Zee-Q

GotGarlic, that site was great! I am a vegetarian and it was nice to read that I am doing the protein thing the right way :-) thanks for that.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:24 AM   #23
Master Chef

Sprouts are great piled on a sandwich. Since you eat liverwurst just add the sprouts for a bit of crunch and a nutrition boost as well.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #24
Head Chef

Sorry I meant to post this in my previous post.

Sugar is not a grain. It is a chemical , a disaccharide - a compound of fructose and glucose, both also sugars.

Sugars are ubiquitous, but the sucrose we get generally comes from sugar cane or beets.

Oh yes, and we humans make the stuff, as do dromedaries, cassowaries, and well basically every species that one can see without a microscope. Our livers do that, it is one of the great things our livers do. Our cells cannot process fats, they depend on glucose, a sugar, for energy. The liver turns the fat into glucose the cells can use.

So when you lift a glass of wine to your lips thank your liver. It will transform the alcohol while it is doing a zillion other things.

Including making glucose.

But no, sugar is not a grain.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:43 AM   #25
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot View Post
Sorry I meant to post this in my previous post.

Sugar is not a grain. It is a chemical , a disaccharide - a compound of fructose and glucose, both also sugars.
I know it's not a grain but didn't know what category to put it in. I'm not sure that a "chemical" category seems quite right but I've done it anyway. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:59 AM   #26
Executive Chef

I'm running out the door and just quickly checking emails.
here is a good suggestion, if it's a repeat forgive, no time to read these now.
Also, I'll pm with you another suggestion, tonight, when I'm back on the computer. After I've done some thinking.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:11 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by seans_potato_business View Post
How do I incorporate sprouts into such a soup? I bought them for the first time recently. Do I cut them first or throw them in whole? Some website said to boil them whole first, and then skim the surface - what's on the surface? Nutrients?
I just want to say about this, not all Web sites are created equal In other words, they don't all contain equally valid information. If you're interested in sites that have reliable information on nutrition and cooking topics, ask away, but don't automatically believe what "some website" says just because it's there.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:31 PM   #28
Sue-Zee-Q

I don't know about yellow leaves on brussel sprouts, I have just cooked them whole, and never did anything to them. My daughter likes to eat them in what is called 'Treasure Island'. Broccoli florets are the trees, and then the brussel sprouts are the treasure and the carrot slices are rocks and they cover the treasure. All of this is served with rice, which is the sand of the island. I would suggest experimenting, try cooking them whole, and if they dont' cook quickly enough, then try cooking them until they are tender and cutting them in half, OR just cut them in half and put them in your soup.

If it worked, I attached a picture of 'Treasure Island'

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image33.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	3341
Old 01-19-2008, 06:15 PM   #29
Master Chef

Re: Sprouts - I think the OP, Sue-Zee-Q, & Claire have their "sprouts" confused - lol!!

The OP & Sue-Zee-Q are talking about brussels sprouts, the tiny cabbage-like vegetable; Claire is talking about sprouted grains/legumes (like alfalfa, bean, etc.) that you can add to sandwiches & salads.

Brussels sprouts are one of my favorite vegetable. Just trim off any damaged or yellowed leaves (although there shouldn't be a lot of either if the sprouts are of good quality) & cut a cross in the bottom of each before tossing into boiling water for about 5 minutes (depending on size). Then pierce or taste-test one until they reach the texture you like, which should be just tender for the best flavor & quality. If the sprouts are very large (like golf-ball size), you can cut them in half first after trimming, in which case the cross-cut at the root end isn't necessary. I normally undercook them just slightly, then drain them & return them to the pot with some butter to braise a little.

If you've never had them before, you may want to try them on their own first before tossing them into soup or stew (although they're delicious in both). Some folks find them a bit strong, which they can be if they're a bit past their prime age-wise.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:26 AM   #30
Master Chef

Yes, I was assumng seed sprouts of some sort (bean, alfalfa, etc)! Brussels sprouts I like cooked already said, with a touch of lemon or orange juice added at the end. When I can get them fresh I halve them before cooking. Usually I buy them frozen.