Student wanting to accrue recipe suggestions using LIMITED resources (vegetarian)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a recipe for "Boxty" an old Irish favorite, and one of MY favorites as well...and no, it's got nothing to do with me being old and Irish. :D Most Irish cuisine is fairly simple with fairly simple ingredients that are available in out-of-the-way places. Ireland is mostly rural, so most of the recipes tend to be quite rustic in nature. This recipe can also be made stuffed. Just get yourself a small baking dish, make a nice stuffing of your choice (leftover stew is my favorite) lay the boxty in the dish while it's warm (the boxty should be about three times as wide as the dish) fill the dish, fold the boxty over the filling, 'glue' it down wih a bit of butter or egg, and bake it long enough to heat through. ENJOY!

1 cup raw potato
1 cup mashed potato
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
large knob of butter, melted
1/2 cup milk

Grate the raw potatoes into a bowl. Turn out onto a cloth and wring, catching the liquid. This will separate into a clear fluid with starch at the bottom. Pour off the fluid and scrape out the starch and mix with the grated and mashed potatoes. Sieve the dry ingredients and mix in along with the melted butter. Add a little milk if necessary to make a pliable dough. Knead lightly on a floured surface. Divide into four and form large, flat cakes. Mark each into quarters but do not cut right through, and bake on a griddle or in a heavy pan.

Here's a recipe for "Boxty" an old Irish favorite, and one of MY favorites as well...and no, it's got nothing to do with me being old and Irish. :D Most Irish cuisine is fairly simple with fairly simple ingredients that are available in out-of-the-way places. Ireland is mostly rural, so most of the recipes tend to be quite rustic in nature. This recipe can also be made stuffed. Just get yourself a small baking dish, make a nice stuffing of your choice (leftover stew is my favorite) lay the boxty in the dish while it's warm (the boxty should be about three times as wide as the dish) fill the dish, fold the boxty over the filling, 'glue' it down wih a bit of butter or egg, and bake it long enough to heat through. ENJOY!

1 cup raw potato
1 cup mashed potato
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
large knob of butter, melted
1/2 cup milk

Grate the raw potatoes into a bowl. Turn out onto a cloth and wring, catching the liquid. This will separate into a clear fluid with starch at the bottom. Pour off the fluid and scrape out the starch and mix with the grated and mashed potatoes. Sieve the dry ingredients and mix in along with the melted butter. Add a little milk if necessary to make a pliable dough. Knead lightly on a floured surface. Divide into four and form large, flat cakes. Mark each into quarters but do not cut right through, and bake on a griddle or in a heavy pan.
This sounds wonderful, 66! I love potatoes in any form. Can you tell me about how much a knob of butter is? Thanks, Terry

LOL, sorry about that. Some of the recipes are family hand me downs, my grandmother rarely measured anything. She could pour a tablespoon or a teaspoon right into her hand of just about anything, and it would be exact. Saved a heck of a lot of clean up time :LOL: a knob would be about two to three tablespoons, to taste.

lol. mac and cheese boxty huh? sounds yummy! I lve stuffing em full of anything I can get my hands on.... it's fun, and usually inexpensive and easy! Good Luck, and Enjoy!

Despite me screwing something up at about every stage, it is really quite nice. Is the pastry thing like "potato cakes"? I haven't had potato cakes in ages. I don't think I got the shapes right. They were more like tacos and burritos and things hurled from windows but presentation isn't important when you eat while watching TV or with your eyes closed.

Do what I do as a student..

Grab whatever veg or meat you can, and put it in a curry!

It has worked for me for the last 3 years

Back
Top Bottom