"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 01-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #31
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot View Post
Sugar is not a grain. It is a chemical , a disaccharide - a compound of fructose and glucose, both also sugars.
Sugar is not a chemical. It is a carbohydrate.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:30 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
Sugar is not a chemical. It is a carbohydrate.
Well, literally speaking, everything we eat is a chemical, or chemical compound. Our bodies are very sophisticated chemical factories But you're right, for nutrition purposes, sugar is classified as a carb.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:54 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Well, literally speaking, everything we eat is a chemical, or chemical compound. Our bodies are very sophisticated chemical factories But you're right, for nutrition purposes, sugar is classified as a carb.
It *could* be classed as a carbohydrate, if you were splitting foods into carbohydrate, protein, fat etc. categories; but I'm not. Rice is mostly carbohydrate, yet it's in the grains category. How could I have rice in the grains category and sugar in the carbohydrate category? I couldn't; it would be anarchy. Thus, the carbohydrate category does not exist in my food list, since not all foods would split neatly into such groups.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:07 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by seans_potato_business View Post
It *could* be classed as a carbohydrate, if you were splitting foods into carbohydrate, protein, fat etc. categories; but I'm not. Rice is mostly carbohydrate, yet it's in the grains category. How could I have rice in the grains category and sugar in the carbohydrate category? I couldn't; it would be anarchy. Thus, the carbohydrate category does not exist in my food list, since not all foods would split neatly into such groups.
Hi, Sean. Would you mind sharing your list of food categories? And what is the objective of keeping this list? Just curious. Like it or not, all foods are either fats, proteins or carbs, which is different from food groups, such as meats, grains, dairy, vegetables, etc.

You might be interested in this Web site: FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal You enter all the foods you eat each day and it tells you how much of each food type and nutrient you've consumed. You can set goals and it will calculate whether you have achieved them.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:12 PM   #35
Senior Cook

My food categories are in my first post in this thread. Separating them among fats, proteins and carbs (is a tomato a fat, protein or carb?!) would not be useful to people trying to suggest recipes based on my inventory (the objective of the list). Thanks for the link though.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:47 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
My food categories are in my first post in this thread. Separating them among fats, proteins and carbs (is a tomato a fat, protein or carb?!) would not be useful to people trying to suggest recipes based on my inventory (the objective of the list). Thanks for the link though.
Sorry, but that makes no sense. People are suggesting recipes based on the ingredients listed, not on which category they're in.

According to fitday.com, one medium raw tomato contains:
Total Fat 0.406g
Total Carbohydrate 5.71g
Protein 1.05g

So it's primarily a carb. But it's also a fruit
Old 01-20-2008, 06:05 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Sorry, but that makes no sense. People are suggesting recipes based on the ingredients listed, not on which category they're in.
But if they wanted to see if I had a certain ingredient, they'd want to check the relevant category and I think the current method of categorisation is more intuitive.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:11 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Regardless of category, one can come up with recipes with the above ingredients. It truly doesn't matter what category they are in nor what the categories are called. I am only looking at your ingredients listed.

You can make some rice in chicken stock, add your favorite veggies listed in your list (cooked your favorite way i.e., sauteed, boiled, steamed, etc., and add whatever protein you find most available and inexpensive where you live. Add some salt, pepper would be nice, along with parsley and chives.

I find, among a few other people, that it is important to plan a meal around mixing the proper amounts of fats, proteins, and carbs, and vegetables/fruits to make a "complete" meal thus making us "full" for longer.

Are you looking for recipes as I mentioned above?

And like GotGarlic said, a tomato is a carb as are most fruits. Go to Google and search for the nutritional value of any food and you will be referred to some great sites!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:20 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Thanks for your replies everyone! I'm taking note of your suggestions and they are appreciated!

Thanks - working on the spices. It'll be a while though.

How do I incorporate sprouts into such a soup? I bought them for the first time recently. Do I cut them first or throw them in whole? Some website said to boil them whole first, and then skim the surface - what's on the surface? Nutrients?

Edit: also, why must I throw away the yellow leaves? What's wrong with them?
The yellow leaves are old and won't taste very fresh. Just remove them. You skim the surface because that's where the impurities and dirt collect. You will notice a brownish foam. That is what you want to skim and throw away. The brownish foam certainly won't hurt you - your finished product will be more clear and not so "dirty".

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:38 PM   #40
Senior Cook

Thanks for the sprout advice - do sprouts go with rice? I just bought a 'sweetheart cabbage' (called a 'spitskool' in Dutch) and will find a way to have that with rice.