"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 01-20-2008, 08:18 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hi, sean. I can understand your budget constraints. It's very frustrating to only have "x" dollars to spend on one's food supply. Kind of like feeling the bite of "champagne tastes" with "beer budget." It's crappy, but you can be creative.

Another difficulty is storage of foodstuffs, which can be problematic for a student. You only have so much space to keep your fresh and canned goods, so you are working at a disadvantage in that respect. Ideally, you'd love to have a nice big kitchen with a spacious pantry. That will come in time.

All you have to do is to pick and choose from the suggestions here and ignore those that would not be appropriate to your budget. You are the perfect example of the classic "starving student." Um, are you an artist, too?

At any rate, we're glad you've asked your questions and continue to converse with us. Best wishes on conquering the food beastie.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:31 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by seans_potato_business View Post
Thanks for the sprout advice - do sprouts go with rice? I just bought a 'sweetheart cabbage' (called a 'spitskool' in Dutch) and will find a way to have that with rice.
I consider rice the "beige" in a room - it goes with everything! Well...almost anyway...

I LOVE roasted vegetables but since you can't do that I might lightly steam them then finish them in a hot skillet with a bit of mild-tasting oil to caramelize them. That REALLY brings out a lovely sweetness in all veggies (Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, beets, potatoes, mushrooms, shallots). Because of your no oven situation you just have to use a hot skillet and be patient while these veggies brown before you turn them. Also, don't use any salt while doing this as the salt will bring out the water in the veggies and they will have a tough time browning. For most of these veggies (except the mushrooms) I would be tempted to steam a bit first just to start the cooking process as some won't get done enough just in the skillet.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:10 PM   #43
Senior Cook

Can I also finish 'sweetheart cabbage' in a skillet in the same way?
Old 01-22-2008, 04:32 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

I've never heard of nor seen Sweetheart Cabbage - I just googled it and it appears to be like the round cabbage, which, you can most definitely saute in a pan. A bit of beef broth will give it a nice flavor since you really don't "do" meat - otherwise I would say use bacon with it .

You can also steam the cabbage.

Just be sure to keep it crisp tender i.e., do not overcook. I would not cook in water and then saute - I would do one or the other.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:47 PM   #45
Senior Cook

It's actually a pointed cabbage (I'd never seen one before either).

Anyway, I steamed sprouts and some of this cabbage for about eight minutes and then I sauted them. The rice (in chicken broth) is about finished. It is nearly 2300 here but I've been going to bed late so we can call this a late supper (almost a midnight snack :))
Old 01-22-2008, 05:19 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the pic. Do you balance this out with some kind of protein versus all carbs?

Old 01-23-2008, 09:02 AM   #47
Senior Cook

In this case I did not, but I shall try to be more mindful of that in the future. Peanut butter is a cheap source of protein but I don't suppose that I've much chance of working that in there?
Old 01-23-2008, 06:31 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

A dish like this just might be able to handle a peanut sauce - that's not impossible!!!! I make a sauce for Vietnamese summer rolls out of fish sauce, lime, cilantro, dried chili pepper flakes and then I make another sauce the same way but add peanut butter to it. You could drizzle that on top for sure! Just heat in a little pot to melt the peanut butter. Toss on a few peanuts too!

Old 01-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #49
Assistant Cook

Golden Soup

Here is a recipe I found in one of my vegetarian cookbooks. It' simple and you could probably add your liverwurst.

2 cups thinly sliced carrots
2 cups scrubbed and thinly sliced potatoes
2 stalks of celery sliced thinly
1 small onion sliced thinly
5 cups cold water
1 cup milk (or soy milk)
salt to taste
1 tablespoon oil
1 sprig parsley

Put carrots, onion, parsley and oil in a saucepan. Add 1/2 cup of the cold water. Cover and cook slowly, over low heat, until dry. Stir once in a while to prevent burning. Add the rest of the water, potato, celery and salt, boil rapidly. Put through a strainer (sieve). Heat the milk and add to the soup.

Maybe this recipe will be something you can build on.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:37 PM   #50
Master Chef

I know you mean well Dragonflystars, but I have to say that that recipe would, if I were a vegetarian, turn me back on to meat - lol!! And I know it's not your recipe - that you got it from a vegetarian cookbook - so don't take my critique personally.

I just can't imagine it as is. Maybe if some cheese or other seasoning were added.