"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 03-09-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Thin pork chops

I have some thing on the bone Pork Chops 1/2"?

They are defrosting/marinating in some olive oil garlic/Rosewary/Thyme and Le mon

I have apples, applesauce, yellow onions and potato

Could use a simple cooking tech that will not dry em out or turn to rubber and some simple side dished that will go well. I was going to carmelize the onions and serve on the side.

Also would like to encourage the eating of veggies a veggie dish that would be simple and tasty would be nice.

thanks

Old 03-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I'd just quickly fry them in a little more olive oil. The flavors you have them marinating in will add a great taste!!!

Side dishes.. how about roasted veggies. I cut small red potatoes in to slices, cube up onions and cut brusslespouts in half. Add olive oil, basamic vineger, salt, pepper and some garlic powder to a bowl. Toss in veggies and mix well. Lay veggies on a cookie sheet and place in a preheated 425 oven for 30 - 35 minutes. Mix up the veggies once in a while so that they get evenly brown.

You can use chopped garlic instead of garlic powder
and can add any other veggies that you like.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
Head Chef

Agree with pdswife, a quick, very quick saute. Half an inch chops cook in very little time.

Would serve the caramelized onions on top of the chops. Maybe with a tad of the applesauce mixed in.

Would saute the apples. A bit of sugar and they will be great, on the side.

The taters I would do in any way you wish. Mashed would work. Might cut them in 1 to 1 and a half chunks, toss them in a plastic bag with EVOO, or any oil you have, with some herbs. You have already started with thyme and rosemary. Then toss in a dish in the oven, covered with foil for half and hour and finished off with the foil off.

I think it might work.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
Executive Chef

do the chops in a grill pan like steak...pork can safely be served medium so don't worry about a little pink. THe roasted veggies sound great, as does caramelized onion.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
Sous Chef

thanks for the replies

I do have a grill pan maybe that will work. I have just had so many rubber chopes and am afraid

Roasting veggies sounds like a good idea too many mashed potatos lately.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
thanks for the replies

I do have a grill pan maybe that will work. I have just had so many rubber chopes and am afraid

Roasting veggies sounds like a good idea too many mashed potatos lately.
Just be careful not to overcook it. Since they're thin, 3-4 minutes per side should do it. Do you have an instant-read thermometer?
Old 03-10-2008, 01:11 AM   #7
Sous Chef

thanks for the tips the grill pan idea worked out great! very short cooking time
. The chops came nice and juicy and the flavors came through well. ( I used a my small enamel cast iron pan) Served with the carmelized onion, some appleslices sauteed in butter, some warmed applesauce and steak cut oven roasted potatos. The combo worked for the simple homestyle meal I was going for and there were no leftovers. Could have used a green veggie but never got around to it. Anyway I have always been afraid of Pork Chops so I am happy for the success.