Tinned Sardines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
Hi all!
I have a thing for canned fish lately and love tinned sardines! Has anyone tried making soup with them or something more exciting than sardines on toast? Love some idees thanks

I keep a couple cans handy for those sardines on white bread moments, but that's not very creative either :rolleyes:

Chopped with green onions and tomatoes, mixed with a little lemon juice on a salad or with crackers on a veggie plate.

Hi all!
I have a thing for canned fish lately and love tinned sardines! Has anyone tried making soup with them or something more exciting than sardines on toast? Love some idees thanks
I put a little bit of the tinn juice in risotto.

This way you don't need to salt up a lot of rice before hand.. ::)

And my little nephew loves them.

Too funny! Whenever my parents went out when I was a child, my "babysitter meal" was sardines, saltine crackers, hard boiled eggs, and spinach. I can't eat sardines now, but as a child I loved them. My brother still eats sardines--he likes them in tomato sauce.

The only time I buy sardines now is to feed them to the dogs!

1 or 2 Cans of Sardines....
Copious amounts of saltine crackers....
1 Vidalia Onion sliced......
Several thick slices of Red Rind/Hoop Cheese.....
1 Bottle of Louisiana Hot Sauce.....
1 Jar of Hot Pepper Sauce......
1 Qt jar of Ice cold tea......

Best served on a bale of cotton outside the Gin on a cool October night....:chef:

Last edited:
I watched a guy eat sardines in mustard sauce by taking huge chunks of angel food cake to scoop them out of the can. Like a cake and sardine sandwich. Umm!:ohmy:

Craig

crumble the sardines and use as a seasoning, the way anchovies are often used. Add them to tossed salads, to macaroni salads, to pizza, in a marinara sauce with scallops, mussels, clams, and shrimp. Add them to a batch of calm chowder. You can even mince them, add an egg and some cracker crumbs, a little Old Bay, and fry them up as fish cakes. When I was about 12 years old, I dredged sardines in egg wash, and then in farina. I pan fried them in oil and they were yummy with a bit of ketchup, mixed with powdered mustard. I was hungry for fried fish, and that was all that was available. My parents weren't home at the time. When they arrived, they walked in the door and exclaimed, "What's that terrible smell!" They gave me kudos for creativity, but asked that in the future, when I wanted to get creative, open the windows please.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks for the great ideas. Wil try some, it's nice to know some people other than myself still appreciate the humble sardine! I must say I'm one of the few people I know that think stinky is good when it comes to fish and good cheese! lol!

Back
Top Bottom