"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 02-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Tofu.....what to do?

I've got a package of firm tofu....some garlic...frozen spinach and broccoli, I can pick up some oyster sauce if needed, and chick stock...what can I make...I've also got white and brown rice and a pack of frozen mixed bell peppers (red, green and yellow)...I can also get an onion...now tell me how to make this deeeeeelicious!?!?!?

Old 02-26-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
Senior Cook

I am assuming that this is the refrigerated tofu from the tub floating in water and not the shelved tofu in a box where you can't see the tofu. Remove the tofu from the tub, toss the water it was soaking in and pat dry with clean paper towels. Place tofu on a cutting board.

I often do a simple tofu stir fry where I cut the tofu into 1/2 inch cubes, toss it in a generous amount of soy sauce, pat it dry and then fry up the tofu by itself in a wok with some vegetable oil till it starts to turn a nice light brown -- or as dark as you prefer. Tofu takes a while to brown. Meanwhile, mince your onion, have your frozen veggies already fully thawed and drain off any excess moisture -- including pressing the spinach throw a sieve. Fry up your onion with the tofu until the onion's just clarified, and then throw in the rest of your veggies. Cook the mixture just long enough for your veggies to get hot and then add in your sauce. Mix the sauce with the veggies, and take off of the heat. You can serve this over rice.

Are you trying to make a vegetarian meal? If so, you want to avoid chicken broth and oyster sauce -- but they do make and sell vegetarian versions of both of these products.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
Senior Cook

PS. Be sure you heat your oil fully before adding the tofu. You may want to keep a grease shield handy if you have one. Tofu splatters when it fries. But fried tofu is so yummy!

Oh nom nom nom.... Check out this latest blog entry featuring a tofu stir fry: http://tofu-n-sproutz.blogspot.com/2...-stir-fry.html
Old 02-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
Master Chef

I rarely use tofu for cooking. I always eat tofu as a side dish, plainly with a little soy sauce or dressed up as in hiya yakko.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Are you trying to make a vegetarian meal? If so, you want to avoid chicken broth and oyster sauce -- but they do make and sell vegetarian versions of both of these products.
No, I've had it prepared in Asian dishes (fast food Chinese) and liked it for the most part. I saw it at the market for $1 and wanted to try it - I also had dental work done that made chewing difficult ;)

I've printed a couple recipes from online, they seem simple enough. We'll see. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Here's a pretty fool-proof tofu recipe, if you're not familiar with cooking it (and have time to marinade). One key to making tofu is to drain it prior to using it. Tofu retains alot of moisture, so you need to press it first. I put it between 2 plates, weight it with a can of beans or tomatoes, and let it set for 20 minutes or so. This makes for a killer sandwich and is good in salads too.

If you're going to stir fry tofu, cook the cubes ahead of time and stir back in at the end. Otherwise, the cubes will crumble apart.

Sweet & Spicy Tofu:

I also like tofu breaded and fried. Here's a couple good recipes.

Tofu & Sprouts: Tofu "Fish" Sticks (the breading is a little work, but tastes amazing)
MyVeggieKitchen: Ginger Fried Tofu (a staple in my house)

Old 02-26-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Every time I see that picture, I get hungry.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:44 AM   #8
Head Chef

I grew up in a pacific fishing village with more tofu shops than bakeries, each with four or so stations of its staging compression, including a still curdling and crumbly vat, all piping hot. They also steamed savory fish cakes with the catch-of-the-day.

Tofu is all about its texture. And its ability to absorb taste.

For your ingredients, jennifer, I would just steep the cubed tofu wet, a la sukiyaki, improvising with maybe 1:1 oyster sauce and chicken stock with sugar and salt. Serve with a dipping sauce of beaten raw egg. Also good ladled over a bowl of rice. Spinach sticks to your teeth, so I would leave it out.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
Senior Cook

So I bought some Oyster sauce and stir fried it up with some veggies and rice, and LET ME TELL YOU........ yum. Totally ok with the texture...it absorbed much of the flavor from the sauce, even my 7 year old ate it.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer75 View Post
So I bought some Oyster sauce and stir fried it up with some veggies and rice, and LET ME TELL YOU........ yum. Totally ok with the texture...it absorbed much of the flavor from the sauce, even my 7 year old ate it.
Yeah! Tofu =).