Tofu.....what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennifer75

Senior Cook
I've got a package of firm tofu....some garlic...frozen spinach and broccoli, I can pick up some oyster sauce if needed, and chick stock...what can I make...I've also got white and brown rice and a pack of frozen mixed bell peppers (red, green and yellow)...I can also get an onion...now tell me how to make this deeeeeelicious!?!?!?

I am assuming that this is the refrigerated tofu from the tub floating in water and not the shelved tofu in a box where you can't see the tofu. Remove the tofu from the tub, toss the water it was soaking in and pat dry with clean paper towels. Place tofu on a cutting board.

I often do a simple tofu stir fry where I cut the tofu into 1/2 inch cubes, toss it in a generous amount of soy sauce, pat it dry and then fry up the tofu by itself in a wok with some vegetable oil till it starts to turn a nice light brown -- or as dark as you prefer. Tofu takes a while to brown. Meanwhile, mince your onion, have your frozen veggies already fully thawed and drain off any excess moisture -- including pressing the spinach throw a sieve. Fry up your onion with the tofu until the onion's just clarified, and then throw in the rest of your veggies. Cook the mixture just long enough for your veggies to get hot and then add in your sauce. Mix the sauce with the veggies, and take off of the heat. You can serve this over rice.

Are you trying to make a vegetarian meal? If so, you want to avoid chicken broth and oyster sauce -- but they do make and sell vegetarian versions of both of these products.

Are you trying to make a vegetarian meal? If so, you want to avoid chicken broth and oyster sauce -- but they do make and sell vegetarian versions of both of these products.

No, I've had it prepared in Asian dishes (fast food Chinese) and liked it for the most part. I saw it at the market for $1 and wanted to try it - I also had dental work done that made chewing difficult ;)

I've printed a couple recipes from online, they seem simple enough. We'll see. Thanks!

Here's a pretty fool-proof tofu recipe, if you're not familiar with cooking it (and have time to marinade). One key to making tofu is to drain it prior to using it. Tofu retains alot of moisture, so you need to press it first. I put it between 2 plates, weight it with a can of beans or tomatoes, and let it set for 20 minutes or so. This makes for a killer sandwich and is good in salads too.

If you're going to stir fry tofu, cook the cubes ahead of time and stir back in at the end. Otherwise, the cubes will crumble apart.

Sweet & Spicy Tofu:

I also like tofu breaded and fried. Here's a couple good recipes.

Tofu & Sprouts: Tofu "Fish" Sticks (the breading is a little work, but tastes amazing)
MyVeggieKitchen: Ginger Fried Tofu (a staple in my house)

I grew up in a pacific fishing village with more tofu shops than bakeries, each with four or so stations of its staging compression, including a still curdling and crumbly vat, all piping hot. They also steamed savory fish cakes with the catch-of-the-day.

Tofu is all about its texture. And its ability to absorb taste.

For your ingredients, jennifer, I would just steep the cubed tofu wet, a la sukiyaki, improvising with maybe 1:1 oyster sauce and chicken stock with sugar and salt. Serve with a dipping sauce of beaten raw egg. Also good ladled over a bowl of rice. Spinach sticks to your teeth, so I would leave it out.

So I bought some Oyster sauce and stir fried it up with some veggies and rice, and LET ME TELL YOU........ yum. Totally ok with the texture...it absorbed much of the flavor from the sauce, even my 7 year old ate it.

So I bought some Oyster sauce and stir fried it up with some veggies and rice, and LET ME TELL YOU........ yum. Totally ok with the texture...it absorbed much of the flavor from the sauce, even my 7 year old ate it.
Yeah! Tofu =).

You can always go on the sweet side of things by making tofu cheesecake? There's this town in Taiwan, all they sell is tofu and that was one of the most interesting things I've had.

For savory stuff. Here's something weird.
1. Food process blend the tofu into tiny bits.
2. Roll into a ball with corn starch and add in oyster sauce, diced peppers, and onion
3. Coat with layer of flour, egg, and panko breadcrumbs and then deep fry ^_^.

Haven't tried it yet, but I might one day.

I have never eat , or bought tofu. I don't know anything about preparing it. I have some recipes that call for it so I am planning to buy it and try. Is it very expensive? I am anxious to try it.

Schoolgirl: It's generally very cheap. You can get for as little as $1.50 per pound in some places. I imagine a lot of this has to do with where you are, though.

I was in Walmart super center yesterday and did not see any, but was in a hurry. I guess I will have to ask someone where they keep it.

Hot N' Sour soup is a good place for tofu...many different recipes for the soup are online but like all soups you can just play around with the flavors...

Some really great ideas here! Thanks to vyapti for pointing me to this thread. I am trying to cook with more tofu and appreciate any insights or creative ideas anyone has to offer. Especially interested in tofu dessert recipes!

I have never eat , or bought tofu. I don't know anything about preparing it. I have some recipes that call for it so I am planning to buy it and try. Is it very expensive? I am anxious to try it.

Here in L.A (where it's hip to be healthy, but hardly anybody does it) you can find tofu in most markets. I got mine for just over a buck for what is easily a 3 serving portion for me.

I stir fried some up with mushrooms and served over steamed rice and it was great.

I've got more at home I'll have to cook up tonight. Making more stir fry... ;)

Unused tofu will keep for five days or more... if, you drain, rinse and immerse the brick in fresh water every day (do as I say, not as I do).

As for dessert, if you treat it as flan, topped with caramel for example, it works well. Or, as a
gelatin, a jello and fruit salad. I've experimented with it in a blender with mixed results: tofu, vanilla, milk, fruit, etc. Not so good. Made me scream for ice cream!

Here's one of our favorites:

Breezy Szechuan Spicy Bean Curd
(adapted from "Madame Chu's Chinese Cooking School")

Ingredients:

1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 square extra-firm or firm bean curd, drained & cubed
vegetable or peanut oil for stir-frying
3-4 cloves garlic, peeled & roughly chopped
1 tablespoon (approx. an inch or two) peeled grated or minced fresh ginger
1 scallion, chopped (optional)
1-2 stalks Bok Choy or Chinese Cabbage, sliced

1/4-1/2 pound ground meat (any type – I use ground turkey)
1 tablespoon dry sherry
1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon hot sesame oil OR regular sesame oil
Approx. 1/4 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice powder

Combine broth with soy sauce, sugar, & cornstarch & set aside. Heat a few tablespoons or so of oil in wok or large skillet. Add ground meat & stir for around 3 minutes. Add Bok Choy & stir an additional 2 minutes. Add scallions (if using) garlic, ginger, sherry, & red pepper flakes & stir a few times. Add bean curd, stir gently, then add broth mixture & bring to a boil while continuing to stir gently. When heated thru & slightly thickened, turn off heat & sprinkle sesame oil over the top. Stir one more time, sprinkle 5-spice powder over, & serve.

Unlike most stir-fry dishes, this one can be covered & kept warm until ready to serve.

Back
Top Bottom