Truffles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How small are we talking?

If you want to to feature them in one amazing dish, I'd say maybe make some sort of braised pork or beef with black truffle risotto on the side.

If you want to extend their usefulness, make truffle butter by chopping them very finely and then add them to some whipped butter. Store this butter in an airtight container in your freezer, and just use the butter as you need it. Truffle butter is a great way to finish a sauce, or to toss with some pasta, or even spread onto a freshly baked baguette.

They are about 3/4 inch to 1 inch in diameter.

Do they need washing? Peeling? Soaking? Anything? Or are they ready to use as is? Do I pour off the liquid, or use it too?

How much truffle do I use in something? Do you have to cook it or use it raw?

I've never had them or used them before.

do a google search how to use them, and consider yourself lucky;
I would love to be able to try them if they are the mushroom truffles, good luck

Don't use too much

They can be quite potent so don't use too much. I used them for a while but kind of moved away from them due to expense in general. But you'll find lots of recipes on any food website.

what do they taste like?
I`v never tried one before and wondered if they are actually worth the hype or not, I don`t like caviar for instance.

what do they taste like?
I`v never tried one before and wondered if they are actually worth the hype or not, I don`t like caviar for instance.
Liking caviar or not has sooooooo got nothing to do with the taste of truffles. I get they are both high end, but you make it sound like your palate won't or can't accommodate upper echelon.
I find truffles to taste of the darkest dankest earth. Think a spot on the earth that is fragrant with roots and foliage, yet cloistered from the sun for decades. Musk, while a pitiful analogy is the only image I can hope you'd conjour. Actually, it would be ever so much easire if you'd simply crawl through my lobes.

Based on what you've written over the years regarding your tastes, I don't believe you'd care for it. You'd appreciate the age of the earth in tasting it, and the degree with which we can produce strange flavours at such an advanced, but I don't think you'd overmuch care for the flavour.

Vera, I think you`r right, although the Smell as you describe is something I do actually like from a gardening standpoint some soils and composts have a great aroma and texture, I don`t think I could assimilate that in terms of Eating it, although I would try it before deciding.

Back
Top Bottom