Trying to impress a "steak and potatoes" girl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just find out how she likes her steak done before you cook it - won't go down well serving well done steak to a girl who likes it medium or rare :)

Oh if she likes her steak well done, then she is definetely NOT my type! :-p LOL

If your cooking skills are mediocre as you say, then I'd stick to simple things. Keep the meal simple, and don't bother with a complex sauce. My vote would be for a nice ribeye, bone-in if you're going for a nice presentation. Buy it today and start marinating it either today or tomorrow in EVOO, rough chopped garlic, and some cracked pepper. Let the steak marinate until the cooking day, and then do a simple pan roast with only a little S+P. I wouldn't worry about sauce, as ribeye has plenty of great flavor on its own, and probably doesn't need the help. If she's a meat and potatoes kind of gal, chances are she likes her food simple.

As for the spuds, get some yukon golds, boil them, and if you have a food mill or a ricer run the spuds through that to get a great texture. If not, just mash them well, and then add your roasted garlic, butter, S+P, and a little cream if you like.

I'd stay away from filet, because while the texture is great, the flavor really isn't there like it is in other cuts, and it almost needs a fancy sauce to go with it. Again, if your cooking skills are mediocre like you say they are, sauce is something that you can easily mess up if you don't have much practice, especially if the sauce if going to bring the flavor like it would in a filet dish.

Do something light for dessert.

...Buy it today and start marinating it either today or tomorrow in EVOO, rough chopped garlic, and some cracked pepper. Let the steak marinate until the cooking day, and then do a simple pan roast with only a little S+P. I wouldn't worry about sauce, as ribeye has plenty of great flavor on its own, and probably doesn't need the help....

Do something light for dessert.

I politely disagree CC. I would not marinate a rib eye for 2-3 days, & a simple sauce wine/shrooms/onions could be a nice accompaniment/topper - but none is actually needed. I agree with a light dessert ;)

First, I would get my mise en place & plan the menu. It can be simple/basic & good i.e.

Salad

Steak

Potato (A simple baked tater is fine) - fries are another idea

Bread & butter

Veggie

Dessert

Appy, wine, soup optional

Now I think we're just tossing around what recipe one prefers. Either recipe would be wonderful! Everything suggested here is certainly an option.

Going back to sattie's suggestion - you just touched on one of my favs - chimichurri!

A lot good ideas so far...;)

There are a lot of parlor tricks that can make us mediocre types look like a hero...here's a couple...

Instead of traditional twice baked, try this:
Rub some olive oil and salt on your potatoes and bake them. Cut the ends off to make a cylinder shape, then scoop out the insides. Smash them up with butter and cream, S&P, (and any other bits you desire) Spoon them back into the hollowed out skins and plate them vertically, garnish with long chives. Super easy, tastes great, looks a million bucks...

For a simple "sauce":
About 30 mins before you plan to plate, start reducing some whipping cream in a small saucepan. Pull it off just before plating and stir in some crumbled gorgonzola. Goes fantastic with beef, and no one is the wiser...

Garlic is no problem as long as you are both eating it...but skip the asparagus on date night. Let's just say that's a bad plan...:LOL:

Baketech!!!! LOVE the baked potato idea!

I've also done salads by taking a larger can and removing the label. Thinly slice a baguette long enough to wrap around the can and place seam side down. Bake in oven until crispy and it will hold its shape. Remove from can and cool completely. Place on plate and use that to hold your salad. On the same theory you can take a slice of cucumber (long ways) and basically do the same thing. Slice a VERY thin ring of carrot and you can fasten it at the two ends of the cucumber with a toothpick like a "button".

A lot good ideas so far...;)

There are a lot of parlor tricks that can make us mediocre types look like a hero...here's a couple...

Instead of traditional twice baked, try this:
Rub some olive oil and salt on your potatoes and bake them. Cut the ends off to make a cylinder shape, then scoop out the insides. Smash them up with butter and cream, S&P, (and any other bits you desire) Spoon them back into the hollowed out skins and plate them vertically, garnish with long chives. Super easy, tastes great, looks a million bucks...

For a simple "sauce":
About 30 mins before you plan to plate, start reducing some whipping cream in a small saucepan. Pull it off just before plating and stir in some crumbled gorgonzola. Goes fantastic with beef, and no one is the wiser...

Garlic is no problem as long as you are both eating it...but skip the asparagus on date night. Let's just say that's a bad plan...:LOL:

GREAT idea with the potatoes...I've never heard of something like that before...and sounds so easy.

And I'm totally with you on the asparagus LOL

GREAT idea with the potatoes...I've never heard of something like that before...and sounds so easy.

Super easy, and never fails to get a "wow" when served...:chef:

Too bad it's not summertime... a nice little mini-mixed grill and a few steamed green beans plated up around that potato, and you would be a lock...:innocent:

Ok, so I have a date this Friday in which I will be cooking dinner at my place. Her favorite meal is apparantely steak and mashed potatoes.

I would like to cook this for her, but in a way that shows off my (mediocre) culinary skills...so basically I want to cook a really good meal using some sorta steak and some sorta potato dish. Any ideas?

To keep in mind: I seal my patio off during the winter, so no grilling :(.

how about beef wellington with some pesto mashed potatoes? or a twice baked potato? The wellington is a bit tricky but there are some threads here that really help make sure it goes smoothly, it is a bit more impressive then just steak

img_534756_0_88749e00a3fc9249034b1cba3485de5c.jpg

if you are on a budget and cant afford beef tenderloin, or prime rib maybe go with some skirt steak? its much harder to overcook or dry out, and a bit cheaper... maybe serve with some peppers, onions and winter squash(same texture as mash potatoes but a bit more exciting):

img_534756_1_ad6bf53edcb393e4defa7449b49e4002.jpg

Last edited:
how about beef wellington with some pesto mashed potatoes? or a twice baked potato? The wellington is a bit tricky but there are some threads here that really help make sure it goes smoothly, it is a bit more impressive then just steak

Hmm. I've heard of beef wellington before, but never actually knew what it was. Looks very interesting.

If this is the first time you are cooking for this woman, limit yourself to dishes that give you a high probability of success. One of my rules is to not make a dish for the very first time for guests. So stick to what you are comfortable with.

Hmm. I've heard of beef wellington before, but never actually knew what it was. Looks very interesting.

here is the recipe if you want to try it out:
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/beef-wellington-recipe-41110.html#post522451

Andy M. said:
If this is the first time you are cooking for this woman, limit yourself to dishes that give you a high probability of success. One of my rules is to not make a dish for the very first time for guests. So stick to what you are comfortable with.

Agreed, and wellington can be tricky... i have a similar rule, if i havent made it before i will make it a day or 2 before hand so i am confident i can do it when the time comes.

Mahsed potatoes develop a very rich flavor when the added liquid is canned milk. I know it sounds strange. But the sweetness of the condensed milk (not sweetened) compliments the potato flavor. Add the roasted garlic (again a sweet flavor) and salt & pepper to taste.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Here's another date night parlor trick if you are thinking about Beef Wellington...;)

Take two 6-7oz pieces of beef tenderloin.

Rub them lightly with dijon mustard, then salt & pepper them...maybe some thyme if you like...

Sear them all over in a hot pan with some butter.

Let them cool to room temp.

Wrap them with store bought puff pastry (or pie pastry) and pinch closed.

Make a wash with an egg and a tsp of milk, and brush them down.

Bake for 15-16 mins at 425 for medium rare.

Voila, individual Wellingtons... :chef:

Here's another date night parlor trick if you are thinking about Beef Wellington...;)

Take two 6-7oz pieces of beef tenderloin.

Rub them lightly with dijon mustard, then salt & pepper them...maybe some thyme if you like...

Sear them all over in a hot pan with some butter.

Let them cool to room temp.

Wrap them with store bought puff pastry (or pie pastry) and pinch closed.

Make a wash with an egg and a tsp of milk, and brush them down.

Bake for 15-16 mins at 425 for medium rare.

Voila, individual Wellingtons... :chef:

Wow that sounds awesome!!! Anniversary dinner found! Thank you..:chef:

From a relationship standpoint just do your best. On the first date you hope for a second but cook again with the first way over the top compared to how you really are and you can't cook the same menu twice what happens? She is suddenly disappointed? You are always scrambling to match or surpass what was done before? Do well but honest and the two of you can be the focus of the date not the meal. Relax and keep it simple but tasty IMO.

Okay this thread inspired my dinner tonight! I made the garlic parm mashed taters....yummy!! I also made a pan sauce to top my steak and boy that hit the spot!! Hope dinner with the girl was enjoyable as ours tonight!!

Now I think we're just tossing around what recipe one prefers. Either recipe would be wonderful! Everything suggested here is certainly an option.

Going back to sattie's suggestion - you just touched on one of my favs - chimichurri!

Awe, thanks Kitchenelf!!! I love the sauce myself and it doubles nicely as a salad dressing!!

Back
Top Bottom