Trying to use up some extras...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeni78

Senior Cook
I'll start by saying that I am cooking for one. Hope that helps with ideas.

I have left over...
1 no name steak
half a lemon
1 red bell pepper
half a sweet onion
a couple yellow onions
fresh spinach
2 tomatoes
frozen broccoli
a can of garbanzo beans
a can of cranberries
a can of potatoes

So, help me be creative! I can't grill, I'm in MN and it's COLD here. I feel like cooking tomorrow (Tuesday).

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Pan fry the steak.

Make home fries with the canned potatoes and some sauteed onion.

Make a sauteed veggie side with some more onion, red pepper, broccoli, garbanzos and a squirt of lemon juice. Toss in the spinach and tomatoes as an option if you like.

Have a dish of ice cream with cranberry topping for dessert.

Any tricks to pan frying steak? For some reason I've never been successful with it.

You need a hot pan with hot oil in it. Dry off the steak with paper towels and season it with salt and pepper.

Place the steak into the hot pan and let it sit for several minutes - don't fiddle with it. Unless the pan is non-stick, the meat will stick to the pan at first. As it sears and develops a rich brown crust, it will unstick itself from the pan. Turn it over and repeat.

If the steak is around an inch thick or less, you can finish cooking it in the pan.

Actually chinese is sounding better.

I do have garlic, ginger and soy sauce. Is that all I need for the stir fry?

I'll start by saying that I am cooking for one. Hope that helps with ideas.

I have left over...
1 no name steak
half a lemon
1 red bell pepper
half a sweet onion
a couple yellow onions
fresh spinach
2 tomatoes
frozen broccoli
a can of garbanzo beans
a can of cranberries
a can of potatoes

So, help me be creative! I can't grill, I'm in MN and it's COLD here. I feel like cooking tomorrow (Tuesday).

Thanks and Happy New Year!

How about Bruchetta's? Or Paninni's?. You don't have to have a Paninni maker to make either one.
An oven or large skillet will work as well.This is just a general idea for using leftovers in the fridge.You could probably even make Checca.

Bruchetta's

Pesto sauce
Sundried tomatoe pesto sauce
Or just plain sundried tomatoes
Fresh garlic cloves
extra virgin olive oil
balsamic vinagrette
your choice of cheese
fresh sliced mushrooms
black or green olives
salt & pepper to taste
chili peppers
Meats of your choice
Basil
oregano
cilantro
grilled onions
bell peppers

You don't have to have all those ingredients.What you have will do nicely.I'd slice/dice the onions and peppers

Artisian Style Breads are best for this recipe.French rolls,Ciabatta,Foccia Breads.Other breads such as Baguettes,sourdough bread,english muffins can be used as well.
The perfect toast should be a light golden look,Semi crunchy crust,with a nice soft center.It should never be too hard and crunchy that you can't bite into it.

Pre heat your panini grill

Bruchetta's:

Select your favorite bread,slice them 1/2 inch thick

Place the slices on the panini grill.1 to 2 minutes,until they are crisp,and lightly browned.Turn them over and repeat.
Remove them to a cutting board. add your favorite combinations of toppings.

Herbed oil (Base)

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon chili peppers
1 teaspoon of basil
1/2 teaspoon of oregano
dash of sea salt
fresh ground pepper

whisk in a small bowl set aside covered for later use.

Take a few toasted bruchettas,lightly brush on the herbed oil. Or rub a halved garlic clove.Top as you want.Bruschetta's can be placed back on the panini grill to warm up,or melt the cheese toppings.Or placed on a cookie sheet,baked at 300 for 5-10 minutes.

Same can be done to make a panini,you can if you want slice the dome off the top.And you won't have to toast before you grill,the panini maker's top lid will take care of that.I use the base and just brush it on the inside of the rolls.Not the outside.Then add everything else and grill.

Checca

8 Roma Tomatoes washed stems removed.
1teaspoon of basil
1teaspoon of fresh crushed garlic
1/2 teaspoon of oregano
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt

In a medium bowl add all the ingredients.Mix gently.Cover and refrigerate until your ready to use it.Serve it at room temp.
Makes about 2 cups

Have at it! :)

Munky.

just chop the steak up small, add everything you got with a can of crushed tomatoes in the crock pot!!! boom!!! YOUR own chili!!!!

Back
Top Bottom