"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 11-24-2007, 06:27 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Turkey Parts

I haven't cooked turkey and I bought turkey parts, can you please give me a simple recipe? I just moved to a country because of work, with a very limited ingredients available unlike USA. Celery here is available once in a blue moon and it costs $15 for 5 stalks (a celery imitation). Your help is highly appreciated. Thanks.

If you can give me a recipe for the basic stuffing and other side dishes for thanksgiving. I ordered this turkey and it costed me $50, they flew the turkey from USA and it arrived after Thanksgiving. I will cook it for Christmas.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:35 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Oh my Moscoba!! $50! I would love to offer you advise but I don't do turkeys nor TG. I hope someone can direct you to a TNT recipe or two. Good luck!

Old 11-24-2007, 06:37 AM   #3
Head Chef

where are you located? I would be broke, I use alot of celery.
I would just roast the parts in the oven with just salt & pepper and pinch or 2 of Poultry seasoning and a few dbs of butter.

You also could make it like a pot roast , put potatoes carrots and onions in with them. I have done that at different times of the year.

My stuffing is saute about 3 strips fo bacon cut up till soft not crisp, 1 diced onion, 2 stalks of celery (for you I would use a couple tsp of celery seed) salt and pepper. Add One bag of bread cubes and chicken broth to the desired moisture you like.
Place in a baking dish, dab the top with butter and bake till top gets little crispy and all warm through.

good luck
Old 12-22-2007, 07:04 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to rickpaul
The only thing I know to do with turkey parts is to use`em fer crawfish bait cher.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpaul View Post
The only thing I know to do with turkey parts is to use`em fer crawfish bait cher.
I think by turkey parts, the OP meant legs, thighs, etc., rather than giblets
Old 12-23-2007, 08:35 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I think by turkey parts, the OP meant legs, thighs, etc., rather than giblets
Old 12-24-2007, 12:51 AM   #7
Head Chef

I don't know where you are. But where you are they eat something and my guess is they have their own herbs and spices available. Also other foodstuff. Talk to people. If they sell turkey parts someone is cooking them somehow.

If you can make a teriyaki that would work very nicely. Or take dried spices and make a rub.

Without some idea of what you have available, most folks here I think are stymied.

Good luck.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:22 AM   #8
Head Chef

I agree with letscook - bake the turkey pieces in the oven, after rubbing the skin lightly with oil or butter, and seasoning them with salt and pepper or whatever seasonings you like.

Stuffing is made with dried bread cubes which have been moistened with chicken stock or even hot water. You need to season it though, sautee some onions at least, and sprinkle some celery salt, pepper and dried sage,, a little rosemary in there. Poultry seasoning is traditional, but you prob don't have that. Just put it in a casserole dish and bake it along with the turkey parts, just till it's toasty brown on top. If you want, you can place some of the turkey parts on top of the stuffing, and bake it that way, to allow the turkey drippings to flavor the stuffing.

Other traditional sides for Thanksgiving include mashed potatoes with gravy, sweet potatoes, green beans, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce or jelly, brussels sprouts, creamed onions, mashed butternut squash or rutabga.

Desserts include pies: pumpkin, squash, sweet potato, apple, pecan

Can you get any of that stuff?

As Aunt Dot said, we can better help you if you could tell us what you have available to you.

Lee
Old 12-24-2007, 06:53 PM   #9
Head Chef

Yup, bake the turkey parts in the oven just like the whole bird and baste them with oil or butter, salt & pepper, to give the skin a good texture.

Under those circumstances I would be trying to grow my own celery and other ingredients. My problem is I can't go through celery fast enough for it to stay good so I dehydrate the leftover (including leaves) which I save for seasoning in soups and stews. I also will make celery powder and celery salt.