Veggie oil for butter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolness

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone.

I'm craving chocolate chip cookies right now. One problem-- I ran out of butter, and anything of the like (shortening and margarine). Can I use vegetable oil instead?

How will it affect the taste? Ever done this/tasted this before?

Thanks in advance.

Morning Miss Coolness....I'm not known as a baker, so I could be wrong, but I don't think it would work...(very well) later some of these baking ladies will be up and can weigh in on the subject....In the mean time,,,,Welcome to DC!!

Have Fun & Enjoy!

If one of the steps of the recipe is to whip the butter and sugar together, it won;t work.

If you have shortening you can use it instead. In fact, Crisco butter flavored shortening makes great cookies.

No - you can not sub oil for butter unless the recipe calls for "melted" butter.

Although there will be a difference in flavor, the biggest problem is in texture.

I found this recipe that uses oil instead of butter or shortening. The receipe has you creaming the oil with the sugars. There is more sugar then oil so it sounds like this will work. It sounds pretty good and they'll probably taste good too.

The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie - Allrecipes

Back
Top Bottom