"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative
Old 03-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
Head Chef
Cajun seasoning, red pepper sauce, or red pepper flakes will all work. I've added all of these things to soups. I almost always add red pepper sauce to any soup/stew, though sometimes it's just a little.

vagriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #12
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to Julio
Thanks Everyone!

Like robo420 mention I would also like to add noodles.

It is looking like this:

Chicken Stock
Salt / Pepper

Cajun seasoning or Smoke Paprika

Julio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
LEEKS! just made some delicious leek and potato soup that rocked my world. So good!
her_name_is_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #14
Master Chef
I usually have stuff in the freezer that just goes in. But when I lived on the road I learned a few ways to make a soup quicker than bones. V8 is a great ingredient if you want a tomato base, it is richer than some others (i.e., canned tomatoes or tomato juice). When you're thinking of salting, use a beef or chicken base powder or paste instead. They are salty, but add another dimension if you aren't a vegetarian. If you are, vegetables either grilled over coals or roasted in the oven are very rich in flavor. I'm wondering why I said if you're a vegetarian, since I am not and I do this often.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:01 AM   #15
Senior Cook
Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
I want to start making some home-made soups instead of using soups in a can or other processed versions. Thanks for all the suggestions in this thread!
cmarchibald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:48 PM   #16
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
While I really like smoked paprika, for a nice change of pace, smoked chipotle powder is mighty good.
Not sure I agree about okra bringing only thickening to a soup or stew. It is a delightful vegetable.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #17
Flour Child
Celery, carrots, onions, chicken stock, fresh garlic and...canned diced tomatoes, Great Northern white beans, and fresh spinach. For some kick I would add a pinch of Cayenne Pepper but be forewarned...a little goes a long way!

I don't add salt but, instead, I do add some chicken bouillon cubes in addition to the chicken stock because that adds enough salt and gives it a flavor boost as well.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:59 PM   #18
Master Chef
The ingredients listed by the op are a pretty standard mixture and can be used in so many different soup preparations. Celery, carrots, onions, let me give you something equally good, but wildly different than what's already been posted, just to give you some ideas.

Creamy Potato Soup:
3 medium sized russet or Yukon Gold potatoes
1 onion, any type (oh, be daring. Go with a red onion for color)
3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick rounds
1 stalk celery, washed and sliced
5 tbs. butter
4 tbs. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. coarse grind black pepper
Scant dash of nutmeg
3 cups milk

Wash the potatoes and place into a pot of water.Bring to a boil and simmer until the potatoes are firm, but cooked. While the potatoes are cooking, saute the other veggies in 1 tbs of butter until lightly softened. Remove from the pan to a bowl. When the potatoes are done, drain, immerse in cold water (to cool them so they can be handled) then peel them. Cut into chunks and add to the veggie bowl. Combine the remaining butter and the flour in the empty sauce pan and place over medium heat. Cook until the flour just begins to turn golden. Slowly add the milk, while vigorously whisking until a smooth sauce is formed. Turn down the heat and add the veggies and seasonings. Let simmer for 15 more minutes over low heat. Taste and correct the seasonings. Enjoy.

I'll get back to this thread and give you more soup recipes you can try with the carrots, celery, and onions.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #19
Sous Chef
Barley; beans; spinach; little pastas; any kind of veggie....also, I do a lot of my soups in the MW....most of them are then pureed....yum
ella/TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #20
Sous Chef
oops, forgot....also fresh or dried mushrooms....very tasty

ella/TO is offline   Reply With Quote