"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 28
What Can I Turn These Into?

Hey, things are really tight at the moment financially. Luckily I have just started a part time job as a waiter so I'm going to have some money coming in. I'm also looking for more work, I'm trying to get on a graduate scheme but I am applying for smaller jobs to to tide me over till I find one. I have become super thrifty as I have hardly any money.

Anyway, coming back on topic, these are the ingredients I have:

Carbs
Wholemeal Spaghetti [2 portions]
Wholemeal Rice [500g]
Bread Rolls x 6
Wholemeal Flour
Cornflour
Oats [2 handfuls]
Sugar

Veg, Fruit & Seeds
Red Onion x 3
White Onion x 1
Garlic [2 Bulbs]
Sultanas
Pumpkin Seeds

Sauces
wholegrain Mustard
Tomato Ketchup
Mayo
Tabasco Sauce
Lea & Perrins
Soy Sauce
Fish Sauce

Stock
Oxo Chicken Cubes
Knorr Veg Cubes

Herbs & Spices
Almond [Ground]
Basil
Bay LEaves
Cajun Seasoning
Cardamom Pods
Cinammon
Cumin
Curry Powder
Garlic Granules
Ginger [Ground]
Korma Paste
Mixed Herbs
Paprika
Sage
Thyme
Turmeric

Other
Gravy Granules
Honey
Jam
Colmans Season & Shake [various] - Just contains seasoning
White Sauce Mix


Any suggestions anybody?

__________________

__________________
Tombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Head Chef
 
merstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombo View Post
Hey, things are really tight at the moment financially. Luckily I have just started a part time job as a waiter so I'm going to have some money coming in. I'm also looking for more work, I'm trying to get on a graduate scheme but I am applying for smaller jobs to to tide me over till I find one. I have become super thrifty as I have hardly any money.

Anyway, coming back on topic, these are the ingredients I have:

Carbs
Wholemeal Spaghetti [2 portions]
Wholemeal Rice [500g]
Bread Rolls x 6
Wholemeal Flour
Cornflour
Oats [2 handfuls]
Sugar

Veg, Fruit & Seeds
Red Onion x 3
White Onion x 1
Garlic [2 Bulbs]
Sultanas
Pumpkin Seeds

Sauces
wholegrain Mustard
Tomato Ketchup
Mayo
Tabasco Sauce
Lea & Perrins
Soy Sauce
Fish Sauce

Stock
Oxo Chicken Cubes
Knorr Veg Cubes

Herbs & Spices
Almond [Ground]
Basil
Bay LEaves
Cajun Seasoning
Cardamom Pods
Cinammon
Cumin
Curry Powder
Garlic Granules
Ginger [Ground]
Korma Paste
Mixed Herbs
Paprika
Sage
Thyme
Turmeric

Other
Gravy Granules
Honey
Jam
Colmans Season & Shake [various] - Just contains seasoning
White Sauce Mix


Any suggestions anybody?
For Spaghetti:
In a large pot, cook spaghetti al dente.
In a large skillet, saute 1/2 chopped onion and a few cloves of garlic in oil or butter. Add Oxo chicken cubes diluted in hot water, and heat. Add basil and/or mixed herbs, then toss in pasta, and mix well. Serve with grated cheese, if you have any on hand.

For Rice:
Saute garlic and/or onions as a base, optional. Cook rice in water or diluted chicken or vegetable cubes, and add a little powdered ginger to the liquid while cooking (plus garlic powder if not using the sauteed fresh garlic). Add soy sauce to taste.

*OR* add curry powder to the liquid while cooking the rice. Heat the Korma Paste, then mix into the rice.
__________________

__________________
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces."
merstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,005
I hope you can have a staff meal at work and use these items as a supplement!

I would cook the rice and use some of it for a fried rice dish and some of it for breakfast.

The white sauce mix or gravy granules and some of the other items would work for a pasta dinner.

Toast and jam!

Oatmeal with honey or sugar.

If you have a small amount of money for milk and eggs then I would suggest pancakes or cornbread.

Good luck!
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post
In a large pot, cook spaghetti al dente.
In a large skillet, saute 1/2 chopped onion and a few cloves of garlic in oil or butter. Add Oxo chicken cubes diluted in hot water, and heat. Add basil and/or mixed herbs, then toss in pasta, and mix well. Serve with grated cheese, if you have any on hand.
Oooh, that sounds nice, I look forward to cooking it. Thank you for your help and I love your sig btw :)
__________________
Tombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
Head Chef
 
merstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombo View Post
Oooh, that sounds nice, I look forward to cooking it. Thank you for your help and I love your sig btw :)
You're welcome! I just added some suggestions on my original post for making the rice - see above.
__________________
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces."
merstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,414
You have a lot of items that are good additions to other dishes, but you're sorely lacking in proteins and veg. I would suggest you get yourself some canned tomatoes, dried beans, eggs, and some burger, if you can afford it. Then you can make a lot of meals with what you already have.
__________________

__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.