What in the world do you do with potatoes in a can?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a stupid ??, I've never had them...
Are they already cooked or no?
I think I would make mashed 'taters and if they were still bad you could make potato pancakes with the mashed potatoes.

I think I would make mashed 'taters and if they were still bad you could make potato pancakes with the mashed potatoes.

They are cooked in the can.

They are certainly not awful. They also are not as good as fresh. In many dishes, they are fine.

Not a stupid question. I pressure can them in glass, no tinny taste:), for 40 minutes, so, yes, they are cooked. They are not of a texture that you would be inclined to want to make mashed potatoes with them. They are better used in soups. I find it impossible to drain my canned potatoes, the water turns to gelatinous substance and simply will not release from the potatoes. So I usually just dump the entire contents of the glass jar in a soup. They do make an excellent soup.

i fry them a little and make a pot., sausage, and cheese egg fritatta... it tastes yummy that way... the sliced ones work great...the whole ones..you would need to slice..

I use them in a pinch for a lot of things. Soups, salads, all of it. No, of course they are not as good as fresh new potatoes steamed. But many of us grew up with canned vegetables and see them as a vialble alternative to some of the ugly stuff that we buy "fresh" in our grocery stores when it is .... well, like it has been now. We hadn't seen freezing in well over two weeks. Eating everything fresh in season isn't really an option, and that can of potatoes looks ok sometimes.

German potato salad would be my choice, toss it into some home-made bean, lentil, or pea soup.

Years ago, a friend of mine who I thought never cooked a meal in his life, made me a meal called "Sausage Surprise".

He sauteed some sliced green peppers and onions, then added in some fresh Italian sausages, cut into chunks. When they were cooked through, he added a can of sliced jalapenos and then opened a can of potatoes, chunked them up, and tossed them in. Heated it all through and served.

I had never had the dish before, and never even knew there was such a thing as canned potatoes. I was amazed and said, "Hey, this is DELICIOUS!". He answered, "Surprise!" :-p

Yep, the potatoes are pretty good for lots of things, Mac.:)

Lee

i haven't had them in years
I from a family of 3 brothers and 4 sisters-
We went camping alot and that was a staple. They were geat in mom fireplace stew, hash browns, fried up with the fish we caught.

Didn't like alone- but cooked with other ingredients they were great.

I'm going to have to buy a can to go down memory lane.

soups, mash and use as binder for meatloaf, meatballs, fish cakes or crab cakes. Deep fry the whole ones and roll in salt (risoli potatoes...awesome.)

I always make sure I have a couple cans of each on hand. Very versatile when you need to make something quick -- dice up for some breakfast skillet hash; mix with cream corn or other vegetables for variety; and everything mentioned above.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom