What is your best pantry back-up meal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pretty much what june said: linguini in clam sauce is a fast and easy pantry dinner.

a lot of chopped garlic and a little onion, toasted in evoo and butter. dump in a can of whole baby clams, and a can of chopped clams and their juices. simmer for just a minute, then toss with (cooked) linguini. hit it with some parsley and grated cheese, and there you have it - linguini alla vongole.

we like large flour tortillas covered with pepper jack cheese, nuke it and enjoy..Another is just angel hair pasta,evoo,garlic,sun dried tomatoes and some fresh chopped parsley and chives,add a small salad and your set

kadesma

many a night I have had popcorn and a cocktail for dinner! for the family:

pasta - boxed or frozen ravioli - butter or sauce
mac n cheese
top ramen
grits
frozen chicken kiev
and, of course, chicken nuggets

Wow... reading some about some of quickie back up meals makes me feel like I have been slumming it!

**Hangs head in shame....**

Vigo brand seafood paella is very good. If you have them on hand, add a few additional frozen shrimp in the last few minutes and perhaps a splash of white wine. You'll get best results if you put the shrimp in a bowl of cold water to defrost at the time you begin cooking and don't add them to the paella until 5 minutes or so before the paella is ready.

I have a dozen different types of pasta that I use for a quick meal with shrimp, tuna, chicken or vegetables or if I am in a real hurry I will make a breakfast meal for dinner. (I always have cooked bacon in the freezer.)

Coming strictly from the pantry, except for a little butter and some water, my goto "fast food" pantry meal is a box of garlic & olive oil vermicelli Pasta Roni and a can or two of Snows chopped clams. One pot, fifteen minutes, hot meal. Works for me.

grilled peanut butter and jelly
omelets
pasta with a variety of items; pesto, butter, cream, olive oil and garlic
buttered toast or cinnamon toast

Bacon and eggs.
Any kind of pasta with garlic, butter, and Parmesan.
Egg noodles cooked with celery, carrots, and onions in canned chicken broth.
Baked potato with all the fixin's.
Egg drop soup.

I like having a box of Tony Chachere jambalaya mix in the cabinet and a pack of precooked smoked sausage or kielbasa in the meat keeper. An onion chopped up in it, and a few cloves of garlic, and a can of tomatoes really dress it up and its fast to fix.
BTW, I consider that a proper meal... I make Zatarain's jambalaya and smoked sausage in my rice cooker quite frequently... Everyone in the house loves it. Some nights I'll throw a pound of shrimp in at the end and let it cook on the warm cycle for about 10 minutes...

Some sort of pasta or an omelette. I keep a large bag of frozen shrimp, a handful or two can be defrosted in no time. Cheese, crackers, cured meats.....some vino.

For someone who cooks for a living, mine are kind of embarassing (JK LOL!!)

Chef Boy R Dee canned anything
Egg noodles and cheese whiz
All the fixings for spinach dip plus rice crackers (yes, it is an in a pinch dinner!)
Canned Tuna
frozen burger patties and rice
And as Katie mentioned, the ever popular POPCORN!!!!

Pasta... always my default meal... the laziest sauce I make is a can of diced tomatoes, a can of white beans a can of tuna and a can of whatever veggies I have (usually green beans) open 4 cans dump in pot and let simmer while pasta cooks...mix .. douse with some olive oil & Balsamic ... done. This is what I eat when I have nothing and do not feel like cooking but also dont want takeout. Its fairly healthful cheap and easy... also can be made with whatever canned ingredients / protein are on hand with/without meat and can be eaten cold like a pasta salad. Not what I would serve to guests but my alternative to takeout and I can bring the leftovers for lunch... made it last night with grilled chicken and asparagus

I always have a variety of pastas and jarred or frozen sauces. I have pre-cooked chicken or ground meat in the freezer. I'll just mix them up and add whatever veggie and there is my meal.
I also love breakfast for dinner.
I also have cream of soups to mix with tuna/clams/chicken/gr. meat/veggies and serve over rice or noodles.
We also have spaghetti-o's, ramen noodles and cold cereal.
You could actually shop in my pantry.
Barb

Y'all are awesome. I am loving all these ideas. Hubby and I have been shopping several times lately including at the whole food market (where we bought some boxed soups) and World Market (where we got some jarred cooking sauces for chicken and some gnocchi and pasta) and we are looking forward to trying those. Some will surely earn a regular place in the pantry. We got some Thai Noodle packs that are kind of like ramen, wow they are yum-o. Definitely will keep those on hand.

DH isn't a fan of clams or tuna but there's always a leftover grilled chicken breast in the fridge. Now that we don't have little kids in the house we are enjoying experimenting with some different flavors.

I am really thrilled with all these ideas!

Wow... reading some about some of quickie back up meals makes me feel like I have been slumming it!

**Hangs head in shame....**

don't do that!!! you're a good cook, and you obviously love doing it! :chef:

when I was cooking with little kids, I always had bluebox mac'n cheese and a box of frozen chix nuggets on hand, as well as frozen pizzas. Its still good, we just try to dress it up a little more these days. We still eat a bowl of cereal or some crackers and cheese every so often!

I also kept ground beef cooked with some chopped onion in the freezer in 1-lb. ziploc freezer bags so I could get a jump on spaghetti sauce or cream of mushroom soup goulash in a skillet when I got home from work & running the kids around to practice, etc.

I know there is a lot of other wonderful fast-prep ideas out there - y'alls TNT pantry backups - and I love hearing about those things! Love love love sharing ideas!!! :pig:

Back
Top Bottom