"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 04-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2cookin View Post
How fortunate to get some saffron for free. I have avoided recipes with it because it is so pricey. I would do an ingredient search for recipes online.

Same here.

Yukon potatoes have a flavor of potatoes.Yukon potatoes are probably one of the most common types of potatoes here. If you did not like it then it was saffron, not potato. Saffron is not your common spice and it takes time develop the taste for it.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by gage View Post
being the most expensive spice in the world saffron comes in different grades,which I won't go into here. It has shot up in price over the last five years by 400% ! Something to do with Iran I was told. I like spanish mancha personally.
It is also to most subject to fraud and fakery. I have never seen saffron sold in a bag ,it is always well pakaged and sealed,
My question is this, could what you were given be Mexican saffron which is very cheap ,not haveing a relationship to the crocus flower stigma from which real saffron comes from ?? I have never bought or used mex saffron but understnd it colours the dish yellow, not sure about that though.try googling it.

Best regards Gage
Ah. It is Spanish saffron thats still air sealed in the small bag. Each bag is labeled "superior spanish saffron" 1 g. So I have two of these.

masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:15 PM   #13
Senior Cook

wow, nice gift- when you open it ,stick a small amount on your tongue , then you will know if you like , when it was cheaper i would put in my holiday breads, sometimes i would just let some sit in my mouth cause i love the taste. I was only trying to identify it as i once had a freind that bought about a quart of the mexican saffron thinking he had got the same saffron he had had at my house.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Saffron is used for its aroma and coloring more than for its taste.a little will go a long way..try making saffron cheesecake ,i ate this at a gourmet restaurant and it was fabulous.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

I use saffron often .....I make risotto with it as well as great Alfredo sause for pasta....if you know how to make a basic risotto just add the saffron powder or threads into your stock before you put the last of it into the rice....for the alfredo I put the saffron into the cream warm it up a bit...add the saffron infused cream to cooked pasta mix till coated....add fresh grated granda padano cheese or parm. Or any grated cheese you like...that,s it..very simple but best taxing alfedo I,ve had....don,t need to use too much of it.....depends on the quantity of rice or pasta....will need to taste it and see how strong you like it.....by the way not all saffron tastes the same....my brother brings it to me from Switzerland as it is much cheaper there at migro. Make sure it comes from Europe mine is from Spain....I wax given some from the far east andnit had a totally different flavor.....did not like it at all.....hopenthat helps.....if you need a risotto recipe let me know....enjoy....e
Old 09-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to zfranca
Risotto alla Milanese

(Saffron Rice)
In medieval times, at the banquets of the wealthy nobility of Milan, food was served dusted with gold powder, the not so wealthy used saffron. Nowadays saffron is as expensive as gold, but a little saffron goes a long way. Use sparingly, just enough to give it that bright yellow color. Save any leftover saffron broth for future use.
The following is my personal adaptation to the traditional regional recipe. I have omitted bone marrow (about 1.5 oz), cut the butter in half and added olive oil instead, and used whole grain rice instead of Arborio rice.

1 ¼ cup brown rice
1 TBS butter
2 TBS olive oil
1 small onion
1/3 cup dry white wine (please do not use cooking wine)
S&P to taste
3 ½ cups light meat stock (broth)
A dash of saffron powder, enough to give the bright yellow color
2 oz parmesan cheese
1 oz butter
Keep the broth on simmer; add the dash of saffron to it.
In a sauté pan, over medium-high heat, cook the diced onion with half of the butter and oil until translucent (If you want the marrow, add it now, and incorporate it well by smashing it).
Add rice, mixing with a wooden spoon until shiny (about one minute). Add wine and let it evaporate. Add one ladle of broth. Lower the heat to maintain a gentle boiling. When the rice has absorbed all the liquid, add another ladle, and so on, stirring occasionally uncovered. You are allowed to cheat, by adding two or more ladles at the beginning, most importantly is that you do not put a lid on it and that you do not add excessive liquid towards the end. All the liquid has to be absorbed. Taste it, the grain of rice has to be Al dente, (slightly undercooked). Adjust salt and pepper if necessary (depending if you have salted your stock or not). You may have some broth left, keep it for future use.
Take off the heat and incorporate the remaining butter and parmesan cheese, serve immediately, or the rice will overcook.
This technique of adding liquid in steps will avoid overcooking the rice and will give the rice a distinctive flavor not found in boiled rice. The whole process should take about 45 minutes, less if you use white rice (Arborio).

Serving 6
Old 09-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #17
Half Baked

Try as I may.....I don't really like the flavor of saffron.I don't hate it but it does nothing for me. I would rather spend my money on white truffle oil.

I like the color saffron gives but I can use turmeric which I do like.

I bought my last saffron from an Indian market and they brought out a huge tin from under the register and weighed what I bought.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #18
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Awful stuff, saffron. Dangerous too....<grin>...Better send it to me for safe keeping...

Nod, nod, wink, wink. A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat. nudge nudge.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
Awful stuff, saffron. Dangerous too....<grin>...Better send it to me for safe keeping...

Nod, nod, wink, wink. A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat. nudge nudge.

Are you a goer???
Old 09-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #20
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Are you a goer???

Oooh! Ya wicked Ay! Wicked Ay! Oooh hooh! Say No MORE! Say No MORE!