What to do with saffron?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So many uses of saffron depending on the cuisine. In Indian food we use it in both sweet and savory dishes.

We use it in rice dishes, in curries, in tandoori food (so chicken tikka marinated with ground cashews, cream saffron etc.).

We use it to make kheer (rice pudding of India), kulfi (Indian icecreams), ras malai (another milk based dish), halwas (basically a fudge like treat that can be made with carrots, squash etc.) and countless other things. I also use it to make a panacotta (I use cardamom and saffron) and it works brilliantly.

I buy my saffron at an Indian store but not the little plastic containers but the huge metal one that comes sealed and it's pretty pricey but a staple pantry item in my house.

I have also had it in paella when I was in Spain and have had it in some soups/broths and it added a delicate flavor.

In short so many uses for it, for me it would be gone in no time.

Do you have a recipe for halwas that you could share? I think that is what I had once that was really good. I think it was made with Cream of Wheat (semolina or farina).

Storing Saffron

I was told to store saffron in the freezer after opening it. That might be an old wives' tale...I was also told to do the same with juniper berries.

Saffron for me is a very dangerous spice, to much and you get a terrible metal taste and my wallet expires.
Saffron Buerre Blanc with pan fried fillet of Seabass is to die for.
Paella, when I first lived in Spain I could not understand how the people could afford to make a Paella for six people frequently because of the amount needed to color the rice, the answer is they use a tastless powder called "colorante" which you fry in a little oil in the Paella(the name of the pan not the rice dish) then carry on as normal, just before serving they scatter a pinch of the real thing on top.

My fav rice dish cooked in a paella pan is from inland Spain and uses Rabbit, Snails, Pork and Chorizo Picante, no need for saffron or colorante as the oil released from frying the chorizo does the trick.

Saffron goes very wll with seafood and fish,i personally use it for sweets like cakes,icecream or even for a refreshing fruit jelly with white wine/ in summer i used it,but it goes also in eggdishes as well,if you need recipies just contact me

kind regards christian

Add it to some rice when soaking for a pre boil and a touch more while it is steaming for a pulav dish.
Also use it in a chicken casserole or roast.

Back
Top Bottom