"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 04-23-2010, 05:14 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
What to do with saffron?

I got about 1 small bag of saffron for free because my friend didn't know what to do with it ^_^. Now I don't know what to do with it haha.

masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:39 AM   #2
Executive Chef

paella, bouillabaisse, some recipes for cacciatore, just a side of rice made with broth and saffron is very nice. Use it by the "pinch" as it is strong.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:46 AM   #3
Senior Cook

How fortunate to get some saffron for free. I have avoided recipes with it because it is so pricey. I would do an ingredient search for recipes online.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Risotto Milanese
Old 04-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by masteraznchefjr View Post
I got about 1 small bag of saffron for free because my friend didn't know what to do with it ^_^. Now I don't know what to do with it haha.
I agree with robo410 for uses, but I've never found it strong though, just very mild & colours the rice beautifully especially in in Paella. we buy it when we visit Spain, it too expensive in Britain, I think maybe they do a milder version over there.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
Senior Cook

being the most expensive spice in the world saffron comes in different grades,which I won't go into here. It has shot up in price over the last five years by 400% ! Something to do with Iran I was told. I like spanish mancha personally.
It is also to most subject to fraud and fakery. I have never seen saffron sold in a bag ,it is always well pakaged and sealed,
My question is this, could what you were given be Mexican saffron which is very cheap ,not haveing a relationship to the crocus flower stigma from which real saffron comes from ?? I have never bought or used mex saffron but understnd it colours the dish yellow, not sure about that though.try googling it.

Best regards Gage
Old 04-23-2010, 12:10 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gage View Post
I have never seen saffron sold in a bag ,it is always well pakaged and sealed,
Being packaged in a bag does not mean it was not well packaged and sealed. The saffron I buy (and yes it is the real deal) comes in a bad that is in a glass jar. Since this saffron came from a friend it is possible that is how it was originally packaged and the friend just gave him the bag without the jar.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #8
Flour Child

I was told that Indian markets have the best prices for spices so I went to one I saw here locally. I bought saffron threads there and they came in a 2" X 3" clear plastic box (not bag). It says "Pure Genuine Spanish Saffron" (Luis Ayala Miralles S.L.-C.I.Valencia, 15-3660 Novelda Spain)...SelectGrade...2 grams"
"Packing 2005-Best before end 2012" ....they must believe in the Mayan Calendar demise

I used it once when making boiled potatoes where the recipe called for Yukon Gold Potatoes. I couldn't figure out if it was the flavor of the saffron or the Yukon type of potatoes that I found strange but I really didn't like it (i had never tasted yukon potatoes nor will i ever use again). I used the saffron shortly after purchasing so I know it was fresh (i bought it years ago)

No, I don't remember what I paid for it...maybe $8?...that rings a bell...haha, reminds me of the Remembering Song (i posted once in "Off Topic"):

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
Senior Cook

one thing about good saffron is if you use too much you will notice a medicinal taste.I like use it in my yugoslavian squid dish .
Old 04-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #10
Head Chef

So many uses of saffron depending on the cuisine. In Indian food we use it in both sweet and savory dishes.

We use it in rice dishes, in curries, in tandoori food (so chicken tikka marinated with ground cashews, cream saffron etc.).

We use it to make kheer (rice pudding of India), kulfi (Indian icecreams), ras malai (another milk based dish), halwas (basically a fudge like treat that can be made with carrots, squash etc.) and countless other things. I also use it to make a panacotta (I use cardamom and saffron) and it works brilliantly.

I buy my saffron at an Indian store but not the little plastic containers but the huge metal one that comes sealed and it's pretty pricey but a staple pantry item in my house.

I have also had it in paella when I was in Spain and have had it in some soups/broths and it added a delicate flavor.

In short so many uses for it, for me it would be gone in no time.