What to do with saffron?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

masteraznchefjr

Sous Chef
I got about 1 small bag of saffron for free because my friend didn't know what to do with it ^_^. Now I don't know what to do with it haha.

paella, bouillabaisse, some recipes for cacciatore, just a side of rice made with broth and saffron is very nice. Use it by the "pinch" as it is strong.

How fortunate to get some saffron for free. I have avoided recipes with it because it is so pricey. I would do an ingredient search for recipes online.

I got about 1 small bag of saffron for free because my friend didn't know what to do with it ^_^. Now I don't know what to do with it haha.

I agree with robo410 for uses, but I've never found it strong though, just very mild & colours the rice beautifully especially in in Paella. we buy it when we visit Spain, it too expensive in Britain, I think maybe they do a milder version over there.

being the most expensive spice in the world saffron comes in different grades,which I won't go into here. It has shot up in price over the last five years by 400% ! Something to do with Iran I was told. I like spanish mancha personally.
It is also to most subject to fraud and fakery. I have never seen saffron sold in a bag ,it is always well pakaged and sealed,
My question is this, could what you were given be Mexican saffron which is very cheap ,not haveing a relationship to the crocus flower stigma from which real saffron comes from ?? I have never bought or used mex saffron but understnd it colours the dish yellow, not sure about that though.try googling it.

Best regards Gage

I have never seen saffron sold in a bag ,it is always well pakaged and sealed,
Being packaged in a bag does not mean it was not well packaged and sealed. The saffron I buy (and yes it is the real deal) comes in a bad that is in a glass jar. Since this saffron came from a friend it is possible that is how it was originally packaged and the friend just gave him the bag without the jar.

I was told that Indian markets have the best prices for spices so I went to one I saw here locally. I bought saffron threads there and they came in a 2" X 3" clear plastic box (not bag). It says "Pure Genuine Spanish Saffron" (Luis Ayala Miralles S.L.-C.I.Valencia, 15-3660 Novelda Spain)...SelectGrade...2 grams"
"Packing 2005-Best before end 2012" ....they must believe in the Mayan Calendar demise :ermm:

I used it once when making boiled potatoes where the recipe called for Yukon Gold Potatoes. I couldn't figure out if it was the flavor of the saffron or the Yukon type of potatoes that I found strange but I really didn't like it (i had never tasted yukon potatoes nor will i ever use again). I used the saffron shortly after purchasing so I know it was fresh (i bought it years ago)

No, I don't remember what I paid for it...maybe $8?...that rings a bell...haha, reminds me of the Remembering Song (i posted once in "Off Topic"):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yN-6PbqAPM

one thing about good saffron is if you use too much you will notice a medicinal taste.I like use it in my yugoslavian squid dish .

So many uses of saffron depending on the cuisine. In Indian food we use it in both sweet and savory dishes.

We use it in rice dishes, in curries, in tandoori food (so chicken tikka marinated with ground cashews, cream saffron etc.).

We use it to make kheer (rice pudding of India), kulfi (Indian icecreams), ras malai (another milk based dish), halwas (basically a fudge like treat that can be made with carrots, squash etc.) and countless other things. I also use it to make a panacotta (I use cardamom and saffron) and it works brilliantly.

I buy my saffron at an Indian store but not the little plastic containers but the huge metal one that comes sealed and it's pretty pricey but a staple pantry item in my house.

I have also had it in paella when I was in Spain and have had it in some soups/broths and it added a delicate flavor.

In short so many uses for it, for me it would be gone in no time.

How fortunate to get some saffron for free. I have avoided recipes with it because it is so pricey. I would do an ingredient search for recipes online.

Same here.

Yukon potatoes have a flavor of potatoes.Yukon potatoes are probably one of the most common types of potatoes here. If you did not like it then it was saffron, not potato. Saffron is not your common spice and it takes time develop the taste for it.

being the most expensive spice in the world saffron comes in different grades,which I won't go into here. It has shot up in price over the last five years by 400% ! Something to do with Iran I was told. I like spanish mancha personally.
It is also to most subject to fraud and fakery. I have never seen saffron sold in a bag ,it is always well pakaged and sealed,
My question is this, could what you were given be Mexican saffron which is very cheap ,not haveing a relationship to the crocus flower stigma from which real saffron comes from ?? I have never bought or used mex saffron but understnd it colours the dish yellow, not sure about that though.try googling it.

Best regards Gage

Ah. It is Spanish saffron thats still air sealed in the small bag. Each bag is labeled "superior spanish saffron" 1 g. So I have two of these.

wow, nice gift- when you open it ,stick a small amount on your tongue , then you will know if you like , when it was cheaper i would put in my holiday breads, sometimes i would just let some sit in my mouth cause i love the taste. I was only trying to identify it as i once had a freind that bought about a quart of the mexican saffron thinking he had got the same saffron he had had at my house.

Saffron is used for its aroma and coloring more than for its taste.a little will go a long way..try making saffron cheesecake ,i ate this at a gourmet restaurant and it was fabulous.

I use saffron often .....I make risotto with it as well as great Alfredo sause for pasta....if you know how to make a basic risotto just add the saffron powder or threads into your stock before you put the last of it into the rice....for the alfredo I put the saffron into the cream warm it up a bit...add the saffron infused cream to cooked pasta mix till coated....add fresh grated granda padano cheese or parm. Or any grated cheese you like...that,s it..very simple but best taxing alfedo I,ve had....don,t need to use too much of it.....depends on the quantity of rice or pasta....will need to taste it and see how strong you like it.....by the way not all saffron tastes the same....my brother brings it to me from Switzerland as it is much cheaper there at migro. Make sure it comes from Europe mine is from Spain....I wax given some from the far east andnit had a totally different flavor.....did not like it at all.....hopenthat helps.....if you need a risotto recipe let me know....enjoy....e

Risotto alla Milanese

(Saffron Rice)
In medieval times, at the banquets of the wealthy nobility of Milan, food was served dusted with gold powder, the not so wealthy used saffron. Nowadays saffron is as expensive as gold, but a little saffron goes a long way. Use sparingly, just enough to give it that bright yellow color. Save any leftover saffron broth for future use.
The following is my personal adaptation to the traditional regional recipe. I have omitted bone marrow (about 1.5 oz), cut the butter in half and added olive oil instead, and used whole grain rice instead of Arborio rice.

1 ¼ cup brown rice
1 TBS butter
2 TBS olive oil
1 small onion
1/3 cup dry white wine (please do not use cooking wine)
S&P to taste
3 ½ cups light meat stock (broth)
A dash of saffron powder, enough to give the bright yellow color
2 oz parmesan cheese
1 oz butter
Keep the broth on simmer; add the dash of saffron to it.
In a sauté pan, over medium-high heat, cook the diced onion with half of the butter and oil until translucent (If you want the marrow, add it now, and incorporate it well by smashing it).
Add rice, mixing with a wooden spoon until shiny (about one minute). Add wine and let it evaporate. Add one ladle of broth. Lower the heat to maintain a gentle boiling. When the rice has absorbed all the liquid, add another ladle, and so on, stirring occasionally uncovered. You are allowed to cheat, by adding two or more ladles at the beginning, most importantly is that you do not put a lid on it and that you do not add excessive liquid towards the end. All the liquid has to be absorbed. Taste it, the grain of rice has to be Al dente, (slightly undercooked). Adjust salt and pepper if necessary (depending if you have salted your stock or not). You may have some broth left, keep it for future use.
Take off the heat and incorporate the remaining butter and parmesan cheese, serve immediately, or the rice will overcook.
This technique of adding liquid in steps will avoid overcooking the rice and will give the rice a distinctive flavor not found in boiled rice. The whole process should take about 45 minutes, less if you use white rice (Arborio).

Serving 6

Try as I may.....I don't really like the flavor of saffron.I don't hate it but it does nothing for me. I would rather spend my money on white truffle oil.

I like the color saffron gives but I can use turmeric which I do like.

I bought my last saffron from an Indian market and they brought out a huge tin from under the register and weighed what I bought.

Awful stuff, saffron. Dangerous too....<grin>...Better send it to me for safe keeping...

Nod, nod, wink, wink. A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat. nudge nudge.:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom