What to do with silken tofu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Silken tofu makes great shakes. Whiz it up with some honey and fruit.

Mel:)

Yeah, I was going to say smoothies. :)

I also make a vegan guacamole for when my vegan friend(s) stop in for drinks, snacks, or whatever:

GrumbleBee's Vegan Guacamole
16 oz silken tofu
1 ripe avocado
1 T lemon juice
1 clove garlic minced
1/4 t salt
1 T chopped cilantro
1 T finely chopped onion

Blend together and eat with nachos! :) Also good with roasted pita chips.

- - -

You can also use it as a substitute for most dishes that use yogurt and sour cream. It won't have the same "tartness" as a sour cream/yogurt, but it's still quite nice. I actually prefer to make tzatziki with smooth/silken tofu instead of yogurt because then I can taste the cucumber and garlic better. :)

~GBee

If you're gentle while handling, cubes of it make a very nice addition to Japanese Miso Soup. In fact, quite a few Japanese restaurants use silken tofu to garnish this soup. The regular firmer types aren't really delicate enough to do a good Miso Soup justice.

If you're gentle while handling, cubes of it make a very nice addition to Japanese Miso Soup. In fact, quite a few Japanese restaurants use silken tofu to garnish this soup. The regular firmer types aren't really delicate enough to do a good Miso Soup justice.

i LOVE miso, jsut can't find miso!!

Can't find miso? If you don't have any Asian markets nearby, have you looked online? There happen to be more than quite a few sources for all different types - including some interesting artisinal types handmade in, I believe, California.

And since miso lasts virtually forever in the fridge, I consider it a bargain regardless of where I have to buy it from.

my main avenue rules aisian distributors!!! maybe i'll look more thorughly!!

:) I have used it as a substitute for riccotta cheese I mixed in some parmesan and egg to add to an eggplant casserole. Actually really good.

I used to go to a vegan restaurant in NYC and they made a fantastic key lime pie with silken tofu. Maybe you can find a recipe on the net. Meanwhile this looks great also:
Chocolate Tofu Mousse Pie

:) I have made this with a thin layer of peanut butter on the bottom it is really, really good took me a while to find it it so you better make it:);)
Recipe courtesy of Jennyema

:)

This isn't cheesecake, but it is suprisingly good. You cant tell its tofu (i sense a trademark there!). I have also experimented with coconut.

TOFU CHOCOLATE PIE

1 prepared pie crust
12 oz semisweet chocolate
1 container (usually 15 oz) SILKEN tofu
Sugar or splenda, to taste (maybe 1/4-1/2 cup)
1t vanilla extract

MELT chocolate
POUR melted chocolate into bowl of food processor
DUMP tofu in, too
ADD vanilla
PROCESS till prety smooth
TASTE -- add sugar or splenda to taste
PROCESS some more
POUR into pie shell
REFRIGERATE for at least 2 or 3 hours

This isn't cheesecake, but it is suprisingly good. You cant tell its tofu (i sense a trademark there!). I have also experimented with coconut.

TOFU CHOCOLATE PIE

1 prepared pie crust
1t vanilla extract

MELT chocolate
DUMP tofu in, too
ADD vanilla
PROCESS some more
POUR into pie shell

i could make that chocolate pie fer jake. he loves his chocolate!!

thanks, guys!!!

I also make a vegan guacamole for when my vegan friend(s) stop in for drinks, snacks, or whatever:

16 oz silken tofu
1 ripe avocado
1 T lemon juice
1 clove garlic minced
1/4 t salt
1 T chopped cilantro
1 T finely chopped onion

- - -

You can also use it as a substitute for most dishes that use yogurt and sour cream. It won't have the same "tartness" as a sour cream/yogurt, but it's still quite nice. I actually prefer to make tzatziki with smooth/silken tofu instead of yogurt because then I can taste the cucumber and garlic better. :)

~GBee

The information is very interesting.

This sounds great!

:) I have made this with a thin layer of peanut butter on the bottom it is really, really good took me a while to find it it so you better make it:);)
Recipe courtesy of Jennyema

:)

TOFU CHOCOLATE PIE

1 prepared pie crust
1t vanilla extract

MELT chocolate
DUMP tofu in, too
ADD vanilla
PROCESS some more
POUR into pie shell

TOFU CHOCOLATE PIE

1 prepared pie crust
1t vanilla extract

MELT chocolate
DUMP tofu in, too
ADD vanilla
PROCESS some more
POUR into pie shell

I like the sound of this, thank you :)

16 oz silken tofu
1 ripe avocado
1 T lemon juice
1 clove garlic minced
1/4 t salt
1 T chopped cilantro
1 T finely chopped onion

- - -

~GBee

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom