What to do with the green part of the leek?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The dark green part is usually enedible, but it's good in a stock pot. When you have them wrap them in plastic wrap and freeze.

I make chix stock from scratch and if I have the leek greens I put them into it. It imparts a mild onion taste so don't put in as much onion as you would usually put in.

The dark green part is usually enedible, but it's good in a stock pot. When you have them wrap them in plastic wrap and freeze.

I make chix stock from scratch and if I have the leek greens I put them into it. It imparts a mild onion taste so don't put in as much onion as you would usually put in.

Hi Osmokey,
I don`t like disagreeing with folk on the message board but, in this case, I have to disagree with you.

The dark green part of the leek is perfectly edible as long as one either slices it very, very finely or dices it and cooks in liquid for sufficient time to render it soft. The size of the slice or dice is critical when using in a recipe. Thus it will be perfectly acceptable in a soup, especially something like a traditional "Cock-a-leekie" soup or a cream of leek soup but, obviously, not a Vichysoisse. Alternatively well cut (fine dice) green leek, sautéed in butter and OO and cooked in a little stock could be added smashed/mashed potatoes to serve with pork, duck, goose etc.

All the best,
Archiduc

Back
Top Bottom