What to make for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
I have no meat in the fridge but have eggs, milk, cheddar cheese, butter, cooked beans, russett potatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes, onions and a few frozen peas. Have any suggestions on what to make for dinner with these ingredients?

I like the Omelet idea....Eggs, cheese, tomatoes, onion, beans...Cumin & Hot Sauce for a South Western flair. Potatoes & Butter = hashbrowns. Toast, jelly and hot coffee!!! Yum!!

I have a dish that is very hearty and quite adaptable. Zap as many potatoes as you need to cover the bottom of a casserole dish gratin style and also for the top layer. You don't want to have the potatoes properly cooked as they will finish cooking with the dish. Personally I leave the skins on but that is up to you. Slice the potatoes thinly and layer them over the bottom of your dish. (No need to oil the base.) My prefence for the next layer is a mixture of butter beans and tuna but you can use any par-cooked veges that you like, in your case the peas (uncooked) and beans (cut into small pieces) would be fine. Then the next layer is a mixture of diced tomatoes and onion, sort of a basic salsa. I would also add a splash of tomato paste into the mix. Top with another layer of the par-cooked potato slices. As there is no protein in this dish, or very llittle, I would pour a beaten egg over the entire dish. Top with some grated cheese. Either bake in an oven or zap in the microwave, until the cheese is melted and the potatoes cooked through. You can serve it with a garden salad. I haven't had this without the tuna before but it is a good dish to clean your fridge out with and, depending what you put in it, can be very filling and satisfying. I forgot to mention to season to taste, adding whatever herbs you fancy. Add a bit of chilli to the tomato mix if you like a bit of bite.

Great suggestions everyone but I went with Uncle Bob's omelette suggestion with a side of cooked pinto beans. Tomorrow I'll go with everyone's else's suggestions for lunch and dinner. I'm trying to clean the fridge out so hopefully it will be clear by tomorrow night.

Back
Top Bottom