Whole Duck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

studentcook

Assistant Cook
I know I have the other thread open about "random meats" for daily recipes. But now I have a specific task. I need to render duck fat.

The Bitten Word: Rendering Duck Fat

^ I read the above link and it says I just have to remove the skin and fat from the duck and then just render the fat just like I would do when rendering oil from pork (lard) or beef (suet).

I was just looking for a good recipe for the meat itself. I will be using the fat and skin to make duck fat but what do I cook with the meat?

------------------

Everything I have:

fridge:
eggs, spoiled milk, smart balance butter, “regular” butter, mayonnaise, mustard, quinoa, honey, red pepper paste 고초장, orange 1, anchovy seasoning 멸치다시다, grey poupon sauce, 357 magnum hot sauce (very hot), ketchup, grape jelly, pure maple syrup, ginger, 1 opened pack of 'bacon ends & pieces', white rice,

freezer:
eel, cheese 4 slices, bile, beef tongue, tripe, Philippine beetles, whole tilapia 1, pork belly, 2 whole ducks, 1 pack of 'bacon ends & pieces', ground pork (50% fat/ 50% meat), a bag of pig hocks,

laying on counter:
beef suet (oil from beef fat), lard (oil from pig fat), red wine ‘menage a trois’, organic sugar

cabinet:
baking powder, cornstarch, oats, onion powder, polenta, red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, sesame oil, canned sardines, pine nuts, chicken broth, salsa, tomato sauce 2 cans, garbanzo beans 1 can, coconut milk 1 can, bbq sauce, self rising cornmeal mix, white whole wheat flour, corn masa flour, pure can sugar dark brown (brown sugar), blue corn meal, bourbon, dry gin, chili 15 bean soup dry beans, shrimp bouillon cubes, beef bouillon cubes, chicken bouillon cubes, extra virgin olive oil, course ground malabar black pepper, light corn syrup, pepper supreme (mix of 4 peppers), garlic powder, garlic salt, garam masala, grill mates 5 fiery pepper seasoning, ginisang bagoong, hawaiian kiawe smoke sea salt, gourmet garlic sea salt,

ground ginger, ground red pepper (cayenne pepper), ground turmeric, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cumin, ground coriander, ground mustard, seasoning salt, thyme, rosemary, whole black peppercorns, whole roasted sesame seeds, steak seasoning, dried red peppers, pure vanilla extract, seasoned salt, sage powder, chili powder, grill mates spicy Montreal steak seasoning, paprika, dill weed, cloves powder, basil leaves, oregano leaves, bay leaves, curry powder, soy sauce, fish sauce, teriyaki souce, white vinegar, liquid aminos braggs, red pepper powder

I would like to comment, but you are losing me here..

are you rendering various animal fats for a science project or student thing?

If I had a Whole Duck..

I would roast it with skin on and eat it. They're wonderful!

a lot of flavorful fat is usually left in the bottom of the pan, then separated from the Drippings, then used for other things.

I would not skin a duck or a chicken or a turkey before cooking it!

Eric, Austin Tx.

It's not for a science project or anything. I want to put on a ton of weight but I want to get really fat by eating the most fattest natural dishes that I can make. I would like to make everything 100% and I have bookmarked recipes for making ketchup, spam, and a lot of other things from scratch. I haven't received a response from my "random meats" thread yet so I didn't know what to cook tonight. What I did was mix a tin of sardines with rice and two scoops of suet. I ate it all at room temperature since I didn't want the suet to turn to oil. It was so so delicious! I am excited to see if there are other recipes out there like what I did tonight.

In my other thread I made here and on another forum, users recommended that I render some duck fat, lard (pig fat), and suet (beef fat) and then use them all (especially the duck fat) to cook everything with. So, that's why I was planning on rendering the duck fat. I don't know of any other way to render it. I can ask my butcher if he has cheap duck skin or pieces available so I can render fat with it. I highly doubt it but it never hurts to ask. He freely gives me beef fat and he never has any pork fat.

Are you suggesting that I just follow one of your duck recipes and then just collect the oil (fat) afterwards? I guess that could work too. What recipe(s) did you have in mind? :)

Roast the duck , keep the fat and then roast potatoes in it. Make yourself a delicious roast duck dinner with duck plus crispy skin and glorious crispy roast potatoes with gravy and veg . Duck also works well with Asian flavours particularly five spice .

Not really as sometimes less is more. You have a whole load of stuff there I wouldn't necessarily associate with duck . Plus it's delicious (and fatty) as it is . My only other suggestion is veg - you can stuff duck with mashed potatoes and also have roast potatoes too with a gravy, plenty of calories there . You don't just want to stuff yourself with fat as that's not healthy . Balance is perhaps what you need . To add weight you need lots of calories and this can come from all manner of foods but you won't be healthy if you don't balance that out with some good stuff too !

Duck without the sckin sucks. i mean it is still awesome, but it is so much better with sckin. Anyways, I am not going to read what you have because it is not going to help me telling what I did when I had the duck without the sckin. Here we go. I cut the duck into 1/8. Separatly I sauteed onion and mushroms with some sweet red wine and seasoning of course. I had a lot of onions and a lot of mushrooms. When this was done I layerd the bottom of the pan with some onion and mushrooms, seasoned the duck, and put the rest of the mixture on the top. I cooked it for about an hour and a half at 350 deg. It was not as good as it would have been with the sckin on, but it was pretty good. Make sure you season it well.

I know I have the other thread open about "random meats" for daily recipes. But now I have a specific task. I need to render duck fat.

The Bitten Word: Rendering Duck Fat

^ I read the above link and it says I just have to remove the skin and fat from the duck and then just render the fat just like I would do when rendering oil from pork (lard) or beef (suet).

I was just looking for a good recipe for the meat itself. I will be using the fat and skin to make duck fat but what do I cook with the meat?

------------------

Don't take off the skin and fat. If you stab the skins of the duck all over with a fork and then roast it on a rack in a roasting dish or tin (check time recommended for roasting duck in your cooker's instruction booklet) the fat will render naturally while the duck is cooking and the skin will crisp up and be delicious to eat with the flesh. You may need to spoon or pour off the fat as the duck cooks so it doesn't overflow the baking dish. To add extra flavour to the duck you can put half an onion, a bunch of fresh herbs (or a teaspoon of dried herbs if no fresh herbs available) and half an orange inside the body cavity while it's cooking In the UK we serve roast duck with sage and onion stuffing (cooked in a separate dish as it's very soggy an fat if cooked inside the bird), orange sauce made with sweet oranges or apple sauce or redcurrant jelly. Traditionally it's served with green peas but any veg you like will do. The French serve it with "Sauce Biggarade" made with Seville or any other bitter oranges.

The fat makes absolutely divine roast potatoes.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
It's not for a science project or anything. I want to put on a ton of weight but I want to get really fat by eating the most fattest natural dishes that I can make. I would like to make everything 100% and I have bookmarked recipes for making ketchup, spam, and a lot of other things from scratch. I haven't received a response from my "random meats" thread yet so I didn't know what to cook tonight. What I did was mix a tin of sardines with rice and two scoops of suet. I ate it all at room temperature since I didn't want the suet to turn to oil. It was so so delicious! I am excited to see if there are other recipes out there like what I did tonight.

In my other thread I made here and on another forum, users recommended that I render some duck fat, lard (pig fat), and suet (beef fat) and then use them all (especially the duck fat) to cook everything with. So, that's why I was planning on rendering the duck fat. I don't know of any other way to render it. I can ask my butcher if he has cheap duck skin or pieces available so I can render fat with it. I highly doubt it but it never hurts to ask. He freely gives me beef fat and he never has any pork fat.

Are you suggesting that I just follow one of your duck recipes and then just collect the oil (fat) afterwards? I guess that could work too. What recipe(s) did you have in mind? :)
Adding all this extra fat to your diet is extremely bad for you. If you need to gain weight on your doctor's recommendation there are far healthier ways to do it. You could ask your doctor for a referral to a clinical dietician.

Fat doesn't necessarily put weight on. But what it will do is clog your arteries causing some serious health problems down the line. I would go with the carb diet instead. Still not the healthiest but a 100% better than ingesting so much fat. Potatoes are great carbs to start with. Loaded with vitamins and other nutrients. Snacks like popcorn, pretzels, etc. It sounds like you need the services of a registered dietician. This is not a "do it yourself' project. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom