Would you pair these together? and an intro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LifeRemarkable

Assistant Cook
Hello. I'm LifeRemarkable, new around these parts. I'm from the west, recently married with a new baby. Currently enjoying being a SAHM.

So the question is, would you pair French onion soup and Steak with a cream/cognac sauce?

A different suggestion for a soup would be welcomed!
Any ideas for appetizers/veggies/desert?

Some cooks put wine or sherry in their onion soup. If so I would either tone down on the amount of alcohol or choose a different soup. Otherwise it might be too rich of a meal.

Soup suggestions would be leek&potato soup, asparagus soup, roasted squash-sweetpotato-garlic soup, carrot-apple-celery soup, or seared scallops in a garlic broth for a surfNturf type pairing.

I had to google SAHM and it gave two choices:
...Stay-At-Home-Mom and/or Sexy And Hot Mamma :LOL:

Welcome :flowers:

Some cooks put wine or sherry in their onion soup. If so I would either tone down on the amount of alcohol or choose a different soup. Otherwise it might be too rich of a meal.

Soup suggestions would be leek&potato soup, asparagus soup, roasted squash-sweetpotato-garlic soup, carrot-apple-celery soup, or seared scallops in a garlic broth for a surfNturf type pairing.

I had to google SAHM and it gave two choices:
...Stay-At-Home-Mom and/or Sexy And Hot Mamma :LOL:

Welcome :flowers:

No reason she can't be both!:LOL:

Welcome to DC and I think Mollyanne answered your question! Have fun poking around the forums, jump in anywhere!:)

Welcome to DC. You will like it here. Lots of great info. and fun! Until reading the last few posts, I was sure that you were saying stay at home mom, so I will go with that for now. How wonderful for you to be able to be with your baby!

i have been trying to think of a main dish to go with french onion soup. have to go with the onion, as granddaughter loves, loves, loves it. any ideas any one?

welcome to d.c. we are glad to see you here.

Babetoo,
I'm thinking something beef related. Maybe roast or steak???:chef:

That's a tough one. French onion soup can be a very filling starter. As Steak or beef can be a filling meal. Perhaps a small portion of filet mignon? I like garlic mash with parsley and green onion with my steak. Grilled onions and miushrooms, tomato Provencal, onion tart, Gorganzola puffs, onion jam, grilled marinated baby zuccini, roasted veggies .....

Last edited:
That's a tough one. French onion soup can be a very filling starter. As Steak or beef can be a filling meal. Perhaps a small portion of filet mignon? I like garlic mash with parsley and green onion with my steak. Grilled onions and miushrooms, tomato Provencal, onion tart, Gorganzola puffs, onion jam, grilled marinated baby zuccini, roasted veggies .....
What are doing all the way up north cooking in Canada. You should be down south in the USA cooking for me!:LOL::ROFLMAO:

So the question is, would you pair French onion soup and Steak with a cream/cognac sauce?

A different suggestion for a soup would be welcomed!
Any ideas for appetizers/veggies/desert?

Your soup/steak pairing sounds good to me.

Here are some suggestions:

Appetizers:
Stuffed Mushrooms
Bruschetta or Crostini
Steamed Mussels

Salad:
Green salad with vinaigrette
Caesar's Salad

Soup:
Carrot Soup (if not going with the onion soup)
Mushroom Soup (if not serving stuffed-mushroom appetizer)

Side dishes:
Roasted potato wedges
Roasted asparagus
Parmesan Green Beans

Dessert:
Lemon Tart
Key Lime Pie
Raspberry or Strawberry Fool
Dark Chocolate Mousse
Flourless Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
Sorbet

Last edited:
If you want to get a little adventurous, take that steak and just sear it. Let it rest until cool, to preserve the juiciness of the meat. Then, cut it into 1/4 inch cubes and wrap in phyllo dough, brush with egg wash, and bake it for 1o to fifteen minutes to make mini Beef Wellington. Serve alongside the soup as a finger food that can be dipped. You might even change it up and add a bit of good cheese inside the Beef Wellington.

I'm not going to suggest anything for the use of cognac as I don't use alcohol and am as about as dumb as they come about it. I don't know the flavor profile of alcoholic beverages at all. But there are a host of people around here to help you with that.:)

Oh, and welcome to DC.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I'm liking your idea. This sound the best to me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom