Your Opinion Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ross101

Assistant Cook
I grabbed chopped onions carrots celery and some hamburger out of the freezer. I plan to add tomato sauce and make soup or whatever the correct name of it is. If you were making this dish, in what order would you cook the ingredients or would you just dump it all in a dutch oven and simmer until done?

Thanks

Just about every dish I make starts with "saute some chopped celery, onion and carrots." If you brown some hamburger and add tomato sauce you can add some cooked macaroni and you have Beefaroni, or what some call American Chop Suey.

I would sauté the veggies in some oil first, add any seasonings you want to use, then brown the hamburger, and finally, stir in the tomato sauce. At this point, you will know if it needs more liquid. After simmering for about 10 minutes, taste and add more seasoning if necessary.

In French cooking, onions, celery, and carrots are the start of many dishes. You sweat this down with oil or butter. Once these are tender or translucent, add your meat and brown. Then deglaze your pan with the tomato sauce and simmer, slowly, to let the flavored come together.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually saute the meat, drain it, remove it from the pan and set it aside. I then sauté the veggies in the same pan in olive oil with fresh or dry herbs and spices. I add a can of tomatoes or tomato sauce, the cooked meat, salt and pepper. You may add beef broth to make soup, pasta or rice (I pre-cook these), potatoes or carrots (small dice), finely sliced cabbage, diced zucchini, canned beans (drained and rinsed), etc. This makes a hearty soup. You could mix the sautéed meat, veggies, and tomato sauce together for sloppy joes. You could also turn these ingredients into chili. Have fun! Let us know what you concoct!

Last edited:
I would sauté the veggies in some oil first, add any seasonings you want to use, then brown the hamburger, and finally, stir in the tomato sauce. At this point, you will know if it needs more liquid. After simmering for about 10 minutes, taste and add more seasoning if necessary.
That's what I would do too.

You should break up the hamburger and brown it in EVOO or other oil either before or after the vegetables. I favor the hamburger first, then remove to cook the veggies, then reunite in a joy of animal and vegetable. But in truth I think either way would work fine. Try one way one time, the other the next time, then in the future you will have some chefly experience and decide for yourself which works best. :eek:)

I like to cook teh ground beef first, seasoned simply with salt. I cover the pan and allow the meat juices accumulate in the pan rather than steaming off. After about ten minutes, the meat is cooked through and I have the makings of a wonderful broth that I pur into a bowl and put in the fridge. I then brown the meat and add veggies and mushroom pieces, with a little more salt. When the veggies are semi-tender, I remove teh broth from the fridge and remove the solidified fat. I pour the wonderfully flavored beef broth back into the pan, and add diced tomato and tomato puree, if needed (depends on what I'm making). You now have a great base for American Goulash (also known as slum gullion, American cop suey, and other regional names), any number of great soups, stews, chowders, or even pasties or meat pies/pot pies.

If you want, add some cilantro, a little bit of jalapeno, and after it's all cooked, chill it until it's cold and serve up as gazpacho. Of course you might want to add more veggies.

Just some ideas.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom