Allspice Replacement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi everyone! I was wondering if there's a combination of spices I can use to replace "allspice".... if your answer is "nothing"... I will have to put my coat and shoes back on, in this freezing weather, and go BACK to the store that I JUST got back from........:mad:

Thanks!

p.s. - It's for homemade apple cider.

In fact, I like Andy's mixture a lot better than allspice. I'd go easy on the cloves, though.

Lee

Hi everyone! I was wondering if there's a combination of spices I can use to replace "allspice".... if your answer is "nothing"... I will have to put my coat and shoes back on, in this freezing weather, and go BACK to the store that I JUST got back from........:mad:

Thanks!

p.s. - It's for homemade apple cider.

Allspice - IIRC, otherwise known as Jamaica pepper - a true spice and not a concotion so cannot be replicated by a combination.

Archiduc

You might want to read this:
allspice
I didn't mean to imply that Allspice was a combo of spices, just supporting Andy that the combo he pointed out was right. Although, you can also add some ginger to that if you like.

Allspice - IIRC, otherwise known as Jamaica pepper - a true spice and not a concotion so cannot be replicated by a combination.

Archiduc
While you are correct in that is is a "true spice" and not a concoction, the reason it is called allspice is that it closely resembles a combination of spices (cinnamon, clove and nutmeg) so while it will not taste exactly like allspice combining those three spices will get you very close.

Back
Top Bottom