Anchovy essence?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomW

Senior Cook
I have a Raised Pork Pie Recipe which calls for two tsp "anchovy essence".

All I can find is "anchovy paste".

The paste's ingredients are anchovies, salt, olive oil, palm oil, sugar, spices, and preservative.

I do not know what "essence" is. But I figure the paste is a good substitution.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Tom

I think you're right, I'd go with anchovy paste. "Essence" to me would be to wave an anchovy over the top of the dish. The recipe may have been translated from a different language.

Two tsp. isn't too much.

Last edited:
I have a Raised Pork Pie Recipe which calls for two tsp "anchovy essence".

All I can find is "anchovy paste".

The paste's ingredients are anchovies, salt, olive oil, palm oil, sugar, spices, and preservative.

I do not know what "essence" is. But I figure the paste is a good substitution.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Tom

What I think most people call "anchovy essence" is a bottled sauce condiment that would be pretty hard to find in the US. I have bought mine at Fortnam and Mason in London. It's savory and not too strong.

There is also anchovy syrup, which is Italian. I bought done at Eataly in NYC.
It's pretty intense.

A pork pie sounds like it might be British, so anchovy paste would probably work fine.

Depending on the brand of paste you have, it might be a bit stronger than the essence, whose first ingredient is water.

So it's kind of like fish sauce? Never heard of it, learn something new every day!

Just looked at my Red Boat fish sauce, it's made from anchovies.

Last edited:
In culinary school, we made mushroom essence. It's basically a single ingredient finely minced and simmered in water till the water is practically all evaporated and what you have left is the essence of the ingredient.

I think anchovy paste or fish sauce would be a good substitute.

Asian fish sauce is what I'm thinking. Or mabe liquefying anchovy's in olive oil Then straining through a fine mesh sieve if you don't have fish sauce.

Last edited:
The anchovy paste I substituted appeared to work with tonight's dish. No fishy overtones.

Thanks, all, for the insights.

Tom

Yes. That's pretty much what I thought it was. A thick sauce, water, anchovies and some spices. It's cloudy and not clear

It really doesn't taste like fish sauce, but I imagine you could use that too.

The anchovy syrup I bought was like thick, concentrated fish sauce -- dark, clear and strong
It could be left out. It isn't an ingredient in all pork pie recipes. The famous Melton Mowbray pork pie has anchovy essence in it but only enough to enrich the flavour and not enough to make it taste fishy

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom