Anything else for Miso Paste?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OddCooker

Assistant Cook
I would like to try Alton Browns En****e Dip from Good Eats, but he puts in a tablespoon of Miso Paste, I found it and frankly, its a bit pricey for something I just want to try. is there anything I can substitute that might be just around the house, or a better multi-tasker? or anything else the paste is good for?

Miso soup would be an obvious suggestion. I use miso often times to replace the saltiness that cheese would give. I stir it into polenta, for instance. I also use it in soups and sauces. It will also keep for a long time and may be cheaper at an asian grocery store.

Here is a list of 'miso' recipes from allrecipes.

Miso soup, of course. That's a real go-to thing in my house. Makes a great hot drink to start the day.

Marinade/glaze (eg miso-galzed salmon)

Salad dressing

Stir fry sauce

I used it to roast a turkey one year and it came out great! I remember thinking that I should try it with a chicken sometime.....

Splurge & buy the Miso paste. It literally lasts FOREVER in the fridge. I think the tub of yellow miso I have right now is over a year old & still going strong. Wonderful stuff. I use it in Miso Soup (of course) & in stirfries, & certain Japanese dishes. A small dollop is also great in run-of-the-mill ramen soup.

thats funny......I don't remember it being expensive....at the most 3 bucks for a bag? I always froze mine, lasts forever!

I think cost depends where you buy it... I generally get it in Asian groceries and it is fairly cheap.

Miso soup is as warming and nourishing as chicken soup.. great when you have a cold. It is great as a flavoring for meats, veggies etc as mentioned.. generally a great thing to have around your kitchen... and it keeps well....

note to self..... Miso put on shopping list

Well you've conviced me!

I'll check one of the local Asian markets, we have plenty of them around. Central market had it for almost $7. I know not much but if was something i was only going to use a teaspoon off.

Miso soup is good, I had it at a Sushi bar once.

I'll check one of the local Asian markets, we have plenty of them around. Central market had it for almost $7. I know not much but if was something i was only going to use a teaspoon off.

Miso soup is good, I had it at a Sushi bar once.

Buy a bottle or package of dry dashi while at the asian store. You'll need it for the soup.

Yup - nothing like a box (or boxes in my case - lol) of instant dashi in the cupboard. Between that, & the miso paste & tofu I always have in the fridge, I can make myself a nice steaming cup or bowl of Miso Soup at the drop of a hat!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom