"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-11-2015, 06:57 PM   #11
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmaker60 View Post
Any one try using the non-alcoholic beer for any menus, that call for beer?
No, thank you. Why would you want to? Stock or even water on its own would be better
__________________

__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #12
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
The only time I cook with beer is for beer can chicken so we buy a cheap six pack for that and keep it in the garage. I don't like the flavor of ordinary beer for drinking, but there are a couple of local IPA's that have changed my mind. They are too expensive imo for beer can chicken however.
I have to ask. What is beer can chicken?
__________________

__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
The only time I cook with beer is for beer can chicken so we buy a cheap six pack for that and keep it in the garage. I don't like the flavor of ordinary beer for drinking, but there are a couple of local IPA's that have changed my mind. They are too expensive imo for beer can chicken however.
I don't like any kind of beer so I use white wine and herbs instead and call it wine-butt chicken. I think I got the name from Katie.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:42 PM   #14
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I have to ask. What is beer can chicken?
Here you go MC. I love this video. It's fast become all the rage in the US for cooking chicken on the grill, but I do it in the oven also. EXCELLENT chicken.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...&hsimp=yhs-001

An extra thing I do with mine is plug up the neck hole with half a lemon secured under the neck skin with toothpicks.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:51 PM   #15
The Dude Abides
 
TATTRAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bermuda Native in D.C./NoVA
Posts: 5,324
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I have to ask. What is beer can chicken?
Really?

It's only one of the largest culinary/poultry fads of the last decade.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...hicken&es_th=1
__________________
flickr
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:16 PM   #16
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Here you go MC. I love this video. It's fast become all the rage in the US for cooking chicken on the grill, but I do it in the oven also. EXCELLENT chicken.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...&hsimp=yhs-001

An extra thing I do with mine is plug up the neck hole with half a lemon secured under the neck skin with toothpicks.
Aha! Thanks, Kayelle. Does the beer flavour the chicken or just create steam to keep the chicken moist?
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:18 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Really?

It's only one of the largest culinary/poultry fads of the last decade.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...hicken&es_th=1
It might be for you but over here the weather is too unreliable to be able to cook a chicken on the grill for an hour and a half
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:19 PM   #18
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Aha! Thanks, Kayelle. Does the beer flavour the chicken or just create steam to keep the chicken moist?
Ah, the $60,000 question debate!
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,365
After reading this article on beer can chicken, Beer Can Chicken, Myth or Fact? -- Naked Whiz Ceramic Charcoal Cooking I was convinced there is no debate. Pretty convincing.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:41 PM   #20
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
It might be for you but over here the weather is too unreliable to be able to cook a chicken on the grill for an hour and a half
MC, since I have a gas grill (without the flavor of charcoal) I really find it no different when I do one in the oven on a pie plate. It's really the only way I roast chicken anymore.
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alcohol, beer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.