Beer vs non-alcoholic beer.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only time I cook with beer is for beer can chicken so we buy a cheap six pack for that and keep it in the garage. I don't like the flavor of ordinary beer for drinking, but there are a couple of local IPA's that have changed my mind. They are too expensive imo for beer can chicken however.

I think the difference in price between cheap beer and medium priced micros is around fifty cents to a dollar. I've got no problem with that if it improves the taste.

I think the difference in price between cheap beer and medium priced micros is around fifty cents to a dollar. I've got no problem with that if it improves the taste.

If you believe the link Andy left, an empty can would work. Personally, I think the beer adds flavor although I'm not sure how much without the smashed garlic cloves I add to the beer can. I've never seen a micro brew in can, and that's another dilemma. :LOL: :mrgreen:

One of our local breweries packages their beer in cans. Don't think it's available in California though ;)

Attachments

• 1424057667078.jpg
    1424057667078.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 265
Nope, I've never seen it in cans here GG. I love the names the little microbrews use here.

Two of Steve's favorites are "Green Flash" and "Lizard's Mouth", both taste more like white wine to me. Thankfully I've never seen a lizards mouth, but we've been blessed to see the "Green Flash" three times together in our travels. Most never ever see this phenomenon. Magical..

OK.....I digress from beer butt chicken. :LOL::chicken:

You're so right there Jim. I think the method of having the bird "stand" has more to do with perfectly cooked birds than anything. We all know that the dark meat at the bottom needs more cooking than the breast and wings. Moisture of any kind from the inside can't be a bad thing.

Thanks TATTRAT, I don't drink so wasn't sure, but your reply makes sense. I just hate to buy real beer, for the little i would use it.

Even if the six pack sits in your fridge for a year or more, eventually someone will want one. Heck if i visited, it would all be gone if you wanted it gone. :yum:

There is no substitute for real beer. Anything else is bad tasting soda pop!

Agree 100%

I don't like any kind of beer so I use white wine and herbs instead and call it wine-butt chicken. I think I got the name from Katie.

What type of can do you pour this mixture into?

You can also use an empty can and fill it with whatever liquid you choose.

I am assuming this is what is done above ^^^^^^ As wine, as far as I know does not come in 12oz cans.
I have a holder for the can when making beer can chicken. Makes it much more sturdy standing up.

RB..not sure what GG does, but when I use wine for the bird, I pour it in an empty coke can. What ever liquid is used should be at least room temp for obvious reasons.
Another thing I do is use my kitchen shears to make the opening of the can larger.

We make wine-butt chicken regularly, so I bought one of these.

RB..not sure what GG does, but when I use wine for the bird, I pour it in an empty coke can. What ever liquid is used should be at least room temp for obvious reasons.
Another thing I do is use my kitchen shears to make the opening of the can larger.

I heat the beer and seasonings on the stove top to boiling first. Then carefully put the chicken over it. The holder works good for this step to.

That's "up town" GG ! :chef:;)

I always just used the can and used the legs to support the chicken.
My wife bought me two of these some years ago. And yes, we use beer and seasonings.

Attachments

• beer can chicken holder.jpg
    beer can chicken holder.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
No reason not to use real beer. What advantage would you gain with phony beer?

No reason not to use real beer. What advantage would you gain with phony beer?

Alcoholics and some religious groups avoid all alcohol. Even non-alcoholic beer contains trace amounts of alcohol as I recall.

Even after cooking, alcoholic beverages (beer, wine, spirits) still contain alcohol. It never cooks off completely.

It cooks off completely enough as to have no affect on the brain.

"Completely enough..." :huh:

The issue is not 'getting drunk' or 'not getting drunk'.

If your reason for avoiding alcohol is religious, zero is the only acceptable amount. Same if you are an alcoholic. It's not a physiological issue.

"Completely enough..." :huh:

The issue is not 'getting drunk' or 'not getting drunk'.

If your reason for avoiding alcohol is religious, zero is the only acceptable amount. Same if you are an alcoholic. It's not a physiological issue.

I view it that way. Can't help with religious beliefs. Those are personal.

Back
Top Bottom