"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Salt isn't always a cause that is related to high blood pressure. While decreasing (but not eliminating all salt from your diet - your body needs some - the equivelent of two stalks of celery should give you all you need), stress is a more important factor in most high blood pressure problems. There are other thyroid/hormone related problems that can also cause high blood pressure. If you haven't already, I suggest you check with your doctor and have him/her help you to pinpoint the cause. You're in my prayers.
I know, I know...my wife has an doc apt for me...I really hate to be on medication!

Old 10-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote: Originally Posted by merstar
"Mrs. Dash's seasoning blends are excellent. My favorite is garlic and herb.
Mrs. Dash® Salt-Free Seasoning Blends
Also, cook with lots of garlic, onions, herbs, and
spices.
"

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_k48 View Post
I may just get a few types and try them....thanks!
You're very welcome! Good luck!

Old 10-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

i have not salted food in ten years. oh ok, pastry requires some. i find everything canned is almost to salty. chips are just so salty they don't taste good. i use a lot of pepper and other herbs. i do not use mrs dash, don't like the taste. i put salt on table when i have guests.

food is just wonderful in and of its self. might be a jolt at the beginning but you will really know what the food tastes like.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:45 PM   #14
Master Chef

I need to cut down on salt, but i am just not ready. Need to start gradually, sadly I love salt.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:48 AM   #15
Senior Cook

My DH has been on BP medicine for the past several years. He just retired from teaching inner city high schoolers. I salt the meal during preperation and don't put the shaker on the table. It was hard for him to cut his salt intake but is fine with it now. He substituted hot pepper flakes for the salt. Whatever works for him! I've also been serving shiitake and porto mushrooms twice a week. The shiitake are supposed to help with blood pressure problems. His doctor said that he might be able to go off the meds this winter. Could have been the stress or the salt! Just follow the doctor's orders and good luck.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:08 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i have not salted food in ten years. oh ok, pastry requires some. i find everything canned is almost to salty. chips are just so salty they don't taste good. i use a lot of pepper and other herbs. i do not use mrs dash, don't like the taste. i put salt on table when i have guests.

food is just wonderful in and of its self. might be a jolt at the beginning but you will really know what the food tastes like.
I have cut back about half what I use to use...and yes some things do taste salter...there are now something I do not salt any longer...I also found that using a salt shaker with smaller holes works to...can't tell you how many times I just put to much on but ate it any way
Old 01-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Mrs. Dash and Vegit are supposed to be good salt substitutes.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I also take medication for HBP and I am trying to reduce the need for it by exercising and losing weight. I don't have a lot to lose, but it takes time and commitment.

Anyway, I noticed that on the cooking shows, they salt EVERYTHING liberally. Must not have to worry about salt consumption.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #19
Master Chef

Marijuana lowers blood pressure, if you live in a state that allows it's use. Having a dog or cat also helps.