Borderline high blood pressure...good salt sub?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doug_k48

Assistant Cook
I've tried the salt substitute potassium chloride...have you ever tried that on popcorn?...yuck! is there anything else out there that actual tastes good??

Instead of a salt substitute, you might want to try experimenting with different herbs and spices.

I remember someone told me Miss Dash or something like that might be worth a try?
I had to really cut the salt. At first everything tsted flat and dull,gradually the wonderful flavor of the food came through.. There are some things that I add a tiny amount of salt too,eggs baked potatoes. Other things I just add more Mrs. Dash of onion and garlic. yiu get use to it and when eating out there are times things are far to salty.
kadesma

Salt isn't always a cause that is related to high blood pressure. While decreasing (but not eliminating all salt from your diet - your body needs some - the equivelent of two stalks of celery should give you all you need), stress is a more important factor in most high blood pressure problems. There are other thyroid/hormone related problems that can also cause high blood pressure. If you haven't already, I suggest you check with your doctor and have him/her help you to pinpoint the cause. You're in my prayers.

Not food related, so I hope you don't mind, but I suggest looking into yoga. There have been some studies that show it can be good for hypertension, and imho, it's wonderful for lots of things - including relaxation, stretching, flexibility, strength, and balance. You can typically find a class through your local parks & rec that will be relatively inexpensive and filled with people of all ages, sizes, and skill levels, so it's pretty non-threatening.

Even though I've already given my thoughts on the matter, I realize what I should have said was to see your Doctor..All advice given is well meaning,but messing with your BP is a dangerous thing to do. Stroke. heart attack, kidney failure are not nice. So talk to your Doctor and let him/ her guide you. Good luck to you.
kaesma

I had to really cut the salt. At first everything tsted flat and dull,gradually the wonderful flavor of the food came through.. There are some things that I add a tiny amount of salt too,eggs baked potatoes. Other things I just add more Mrs. Dash of onion and garlic. yiu get use to it and when eating out there are times things are far to salty.
kadesma

I have cut down my salt use over a years time...my wife says I still use to much...you are right about the natrual taste of food as something that were not as salty now taste like there is to much in them!

Salt isn't always a cause that is related to high blood pressure. While decreasing (but not eliminating all salt from your diet - your body needs some - the equivelent of two stalks of celery should give you all you need), stress is a more important factor in most high blood pressure problems. There are other thyroid/hormone related problems that can also cause high blood pressure. If you haven't already, I suggest you check with your doctor and have him/her help you to pinpoint the cause. You're in my prayers.

I know, I know...my wife has an doc apt for me...I really hate to be on medication!

i have not salted food in ten years. oh ok, pastry requires some. i find everything canned is almost to salty. chips are just so salty they don't taste good. i use a lot of pepper and other herbs. i do not use mrs dash, don't like the taste. i put salt on table when i have guests.

food is just wonderful in and of its self. might be a jolt at the beginning but you will really know what the food tastes like.

My DH has been on BP medicine for the past several years. He just retired from teaching inner city high schoolers. I salt the meal during preperation and don't put the shaker on the table. It was hard for him to cut his salt intake but is fine with it now. He substituted hot pepper flakes for the salt. Whatever works for him! I've also been serving shiitake and porto mushrooms twice a week. The shiitake are supposed to help with blood pressure problems. His doctor said that he might be able to go off the meds this winter. Could have been the stress or the salt! Just follow the doctor's orders and good luck.

i have not salted food in ten years. oh ok, pastry requires some. i find everything canned is almost to salty. chips are just so salty they don't taste good. i use a lot of pepper and other herbs. i do not use mrs dash, don't like the taste. i put salt on table when i have guests.

food is just wonderful in and of its self. might be a jolt at the beginning but you will really know what the food tastes like.

I have cut back about half what I use to use...and yes some things do taste salter...there are now something I do not salt any longer...I also found that using a salt shaker with smaller holes works to...can't tell you how many times I just put to much on but ate it any way :rolleyes:

I also take medication for HBP and I am trying to reduce the need for it by exercising and losing weight. I don't have a lot to lose, but it takes time and commitment.

Anyway, I noticed that on the cooking shows, they salt EVERYTHING liberally. Must not have to worry about salt consumption.

Back
Top Bottom