bread crumbs vs. Stuffing mix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
will "Stovetop brand" stuffing mix from a can generally substitute for "bread crumbs" or "crushed" saltine crackers?

I want to make "veal birds" ... one recipe Veal Birds

I was planning to flatten some "boned" chicken thighs...

then "stuff" with a bit of sauteed onion and mushroom, and bread stuffing?

can I use the canned stuffing?

will brown, then braise in broth..

will there be enough "juice" to "moisten" the dry stuffing mix? or should I "make " the stuffing first ( per directions)?

Did that make any sense?

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

The stuffing mix will work fine. Just mash it up so it will be a little finer. Since the recipe calls for dry crumbs, don't prepare the stuffing...just use it dry.

I find stuffing mix useful for a lot of things.

Bread crumbs would be cheaper, more healthful (the canned gunk is full of chemicals and salt), and probably tastier. Do you have a food processor? It takes only seconds for a processor to turn bread, fresh or dried or even stale, into crumbs.

The stuffing mix will work fine. Just mash it up so it will be a little finer. Since the recipe calls for dry crumbs, don't prepare the stuffing...just use it dry.

I find stuffing mix useful for a lot of things.
I agree. I love using it as a different type of taste.

Reading the recipe you could do it with just regular stuffing prepared. Back when that recipe was created there was no Stove Top and stuffing took hours to make.

Mom is an infinitely patient cook, but she has a real stove and she would rather be waterboarded than use any kind of prepackaged stuffing. Not me! I love it. For a bit of a taste flair, I like to crush up those nice garlic and herb croutons and mix it into the stuffing and add some fresh sage. It's really good.

Well, I'll tell you. We used to use Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix along with our own bread for T'giving, until the day mom read the ingredient list and discovered they had ADDED (wasn't there before) corn syrup to the mix.

It's a big ingredient in StoveTop, too, along with lots of salty additives. and boy do those things make me sick... bloated, gassy, hives, not a ton of fun.

I'm guessing a whole host of folks who love the "taste" of that stuff may have varying degrees of sensitivity to it, too. Call me a party pooper, if you want, but I prefer healthy to convenient. Besides, it takes only minutes to makd breadcrumbs, as Scotch said.

Bread crumbs would be cheaper, more healthful (the canned gunk is full of chemicals and salt), and probably tastier. Do you have a food processor? It takes only seconds for a processor to turn bread, fresh or dried or even stale, into crumbs.

The human body is a chemical factory, and all foods are chemicals, whether natural or synthetic. There's nothing poisonous about food additives and people have been using food additives for thousands of years.

Well, I'll tell you. We used to use Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix along with our own bread for T'giving, until the day mom read the ingredient list and discovered they had ADDED (wasn't there before) corn syrup to the mix.

It's a big ingredient in StoveTop, too, along with lots of salty additives. and boy do those things make me sick... bloated, gassy, hives, not a ton of fun.

I'm guessing a whole host of folks who love the "taste" of that stuff may have varying degrees of sensitivity to it, too. Call me a party pooper, if you want, but I prefer healthy to convenient. Besides, it takes only minutes to makd breadcrumbs, as Scotch said.

Again, food additives are not inherently unhealthy. Some people are more sensitive to salt than others, so you may be reacting to the extra sodium in many processed foods. That doesn't mean they're unhealthy (in moderation, as with anything) for everyone.

Again, food additives are not inherently unhealthy. Some people are more sensitive to salt than others, so you may be reacting to the extra sodium in many processed foods. That doesn't mean they're unhealthy (in moderation, as with anything) for everyone.
So true. Bread itself has many of the same ingredients that Stove Top has. Corn syrup is not evil. The truth about high fructose corn syrup | KBCI CBS 2 - News, Weather and Sports - Boise, ID Boise, Idaho | News

The human body is a chemical factory, and all foods are chemicals, whether natural or synthetic. There's nothing poisonous about food additives and people have been using food additives for thousands of years.
And there's nothing like a nice big scoop of salt to get those chemical factories we call our bodies operating at peak efficiency!

If you believe that, I have a bridge I can sell you! That stuff is dangerous, and there is MUCH evidence to back up what I'm saying. Eat it at your own risk. :ohmy:
I do believe the first line was a little uncalled for. I don't believe just one news report, I only posted one report, there are many. There are studies both for and against but in 2008 the FDA re-evaluated corn syrup and found that, as with a lot of things, in moderation it is safe. The way things are done now, are not the way they were done years ago. The refining processes have changed which older studies will not account for. The FDA re-evaluates things often and some pass and some fail. Look at peanut butter. For years we never feared it, now it's got serious issues and the processing is going to have to change.

I won't bother to list all the articles I found, but like a lot of things in moderation it's okay.

Some of us choose not to eat additives, manufactured foods that don't occur in nature (such as high fructose corn syrup), artificial colorings, and the like, even though deemed safe by some researchers. Beyond that, it's a matter of taste -- I generally prefer things made from scratch to stuff that comes in a box or can.

Anyway, this is all off the subject. Let's stay on track. This isn't about the safety of food additives, it's about canned stuffing. Let's not get off topic.

Let's get back on track. If the OP's question has been answered, great. If anyone has anything to add to the original topic please feel free.

If anyone wants to start a civil conversation about food additives please do so in another thread.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom