"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 02-09-2009, 06:50 AM   #1
Senior Cook

bread crumbs vs. Stuffing mix?

will "Stovetop brand" stuffing mix from a can generally substitute for "bread crumbs" or "crushed" saltine crackers?

I want to make "veal birds" ... one recipe Veal Birds

I was planning to flatten some "boned" chicken thighs...

then "stuff" with a bit of sauteed onion and mushroom, and bread stuffing?

can I use the canned stuffing?

will brown, then braise in broth..

will there be enough "juice" to "moisten" the dry stuffing mix? or should I "make " the stuffing first ( per directions)?

Did that make any sense?

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
Master Chef

The stuffing mix will work fine. Just mash it up so it will be a little finer. Since the recipe calls for dry crumbs, don't prepare the stuffing...just use it dry.

I find stuffing mix useful for a lot of things.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
Head Chef

Bread crumbs would be cheaper, more healthful (the canned gunk is full of chemicals and salt), and probably tastier. Do you have a food processor? It takes only seconds for a processor to turn bread, fresh or dried or even stale, into crumbs.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
The stuffing mix will work fine. Just mash it up so it will be a little finer. Since the recipe calls for dry crumbs, don't prepare the stuffing...just use it dry.

I find stuffing mix useful for a lot of things.
I agree. I love using it as a different type of taste.

Reading the recipe you could do it with just regular stuffing prepared. Back when that recipe was created there was no Stove Top and stuffing took hours to make.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Mom is an infinitely patient cook, but she has a real stove and she would rather be waterboarded than use any kind of prepackaged stuffing. Not me! I love it. For a bit of a taste flair, I like to crush up those nice garlic and herb croutons and mix it into the stuffing and add some fresh sage. It's really good.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Well, I'll tell you. We used to use Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix along with our own bread for T'giving, until the day mom read the ingredient list and discovered they had ADDED (wasn't there before) corn syrup to the mix.

It's a big ingredient in StoveTop, too, along with lots of salty additives. and boy do those things make me sick... bloated, gassy, hives, not a ton of fun.

I'm guessing a whole host of folks who love the "taste" of that stuff may have varying degrees of sensitivity to it, too. Call me a party pooper, if you want, but I prefer healthy to convenient. Besides, it takes only minutes to makd breadcrumbs, as Scotch said.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
Bread crumbs would be cheaper, more healthful (the canned gunk is full of chemicals and salt), and probably tastier. Do you have a food processor? It takes only seconds for a processor to turn bread, fresh or dried or even stale, into crumbs.
The human body is a chemical factory, and all foods are chemicals, whether natural or synthetic. There's nothing poisonous about food additives and people have been using food additives for thousands of years.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Well, I'll tell you. We used to use Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix along with our own bread for T'giving, until the day mom read the ingredient list and discovered they had ADDED (wasn't there before) corn syrup to the mix.

It's a big ingredient in StoveTop, too, along with lots of salty additives. and boy do those things make me sick... bloated, gassy, hives, not a ton of fun.

I'm guessing a whole host of folks who love the "taste" of that stuff may have varying degrees of sensitivity to it, too. Call me a party pooper, if you want, but I prefer healthy to convenient. Besides, it takes only minutes to makd breadcrumbs, as Scotch said.
Again, food additives are not inherently unhealthy. Some people are more sensitive to salt than others, so you may be reacting to the extra sodium in many processed foods. That doesn't mean they're unhealthy (in moderation, as with anything) for everyone.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Again, food additives are not inherently unhealthy. Some people are more sensitive to salt than others, so you may be reacting to the extra sodium in many processed foods. That doesn't mean they're unhealthy (in moderation, as with anything) for everyone.
So true. Bread itself has many of the same ingredients that Stove Top has. Corn syrup is not evil. The truth about high fructose corn syrup | KBCI CBS 2 - News, Weather and Sports - Boise, ID Boise, Idaho | News
Old 02-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The human body is a chemical factory, and all foods are chemicals, whether natural or synthetic. There's nothing poisonous about food additives and people have been using food additives for thousands of years.
And there's nothing like a nice big scoop of salt to get those chemical factories we call our bodies operating at peak efficiency!