"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 02-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I would go for a mild white cheese, definitely not Havarti. The two taste nothing alike. I just finished a brick of brick and I love it. I hate Havarti and don't find them anything alike. Even provolone is better than Havarti for an exchange. I would go for mozzarella though.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Thanks for all the feedback.
The recipe is for a pasta casserole & I had no idea what brick cheese was. I googled it & got that same lame definition from wikipedia. The recipe calls for 8 oz of brick cheese & 2 cups of mozzarella. I was just going to do all mozzarella, but wasn't sure if that would work.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #13
Master Chef

Ahh - in that case - & I apologize for it not coming to me sooner - Fontina cheese would be a perfect substitute. It has that same mild but nutty flavor that young Brick has, along with terrific melting qualities.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:38 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
While there really isn't any true substitute for real "Brick Cheese", my only suggestions would be Muenster or Havarti, although both are a bit milder.

And Babetoo - "Brick Cheese" is a relatively mild, but yet very flavorful, cheese from Wisconsin. It gets a bit stronger with age, if it's a natural "Brick". I very fondly remember vacationing in the midwest & passing farmhouses with handpainted signs out front advertising it for sale. We never went thru Wisconsin without stopping & buying some. Some of those farmers had virtual cheese "caves" in their basements. It was incredible.

Commercially, the only place I've found it for sale is Wisconsin Cheese Mart. And in fact, I was just thinking of placing an order with them for both Brick Cheese & some of their Cheese Curds as well. While I've never ordered from them for myself before, I have sent cheese gifts from them to others & have received great reports back, which is good enough for me!

Wisconsin Cheese Mart-The World's Largest Selection of Wisconsin Cheese
well the older i get the more i learn. thanks for the enlightment. something new to me most every day.babe
Old 02-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Ahh - in that case - & I apologize for it not coming to me sooner - Fontina cheese would be a perfect substitute. It has that same mild but nutty flavor that young Brick has, along with terrific melting qualities.
Thank you so much! I will let you know how it turns out!
Old 02-21-2008, 08:01 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Hi Kerri6425,
I`m based in the UK. What is "brick Cheese" - not something I know a lot about but would like to learn. Could you give me some more information about this???????????

Regards,
Archiduc
Old 02-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #17
Master Chef

Archiduc - read the previous posts. Everything you wanted to know about "Brick Cheese" & then some - lol!!
Old 04-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #18
Head Chef

The last cheese factory I stopped at here in Wisconsin was a few weeks ago. I had to get my favorite, aged cheddar, and some fresh curds, and then a huge brick of mild brick (though next time I'll get aged). I have to give this cheese factory high marks on being open on a Saturday and the cheese was excellent. The factory is in Theresa WI, it's called Widmer's. They have a nice link to the story of brick on their website if anyone wants to read about it. It's at www dot widmerscheese dot com .
~Blissful
Old 04-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #19
Senior Cook

No sub for 'brick cheese' but I'll take fontina any day