Brick cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While there really isn't any true substitute for real "Brick Cheese", my only suggestions would be Muenster or Havarti, although both are a bit milder.

And Babetoo - "Brick Cheese" is a relatively mild, but yet very flavorful, cheese from Wisconsin. It gets a bit stronger with age, if it's a natural "Brick". I very fondly remember vacationing in the midwest & passing farmhouses with handpainted signs out front advertising it for sale. We never went thru Wisconsin without stopping & buying some. Some of those farmers had virtual cheese "caves" in their basements. It was incredible.

Commercially, the only place I've found it for sale is Wisconsin Cheese Mart. And in fact, I was just thinking of placing an order with them for both Brick Cheese & some of their Cheese Curds as well. While I've never ordered from them for myself before, I have sent cheese gifts from them to others & have received great reports back, which is good enough for me!

Wisconsin Cheese Mart-The World's Largest Selection of Wisconsin Cheese

How about Farmers Cheese? You want something that will be very creamy when it melts. If you are not in a metro area with lots of choices, I would probably go with a straight Jack if I couldn't find Brick or Farmers cheese ... they are so soft they almost have that processed cheese texture. Muenster is heavenly (especially on a burger!), but would be stringier than creamy when melted, much like mozz or provolone.

Mom used to buy brick cheese a lot when I was growing up. Today I can't find it anywhere! I miss it a lot.

Farmer's Cheese &/or Mozzarella definitely wouldn't be my first substitute choice. They're both WAY too mild. Wisconsin Brick Cheese isn't that bland. It starts out mild & nutty, & becomes stronger as it ages.

Kerri - what recipe are you looking to sub Brick for?

Farmer's Cheese &/or Mozzarella definitely wouldn't be my first substitute choice. They're both WAY too mild. Wisconsin Brick Cheese isn't that bland. It starts out mild & nutty, & becomes stronger as it ages.

Kerri - what recipe are you looking to sub Brick for?

They aren't similar texture-wise either, IMO.

I never knew what brick cheese was and always assumed it meant hard, but I found this on wikipedia.

Brick cheese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to that, it's medium soft so I would think something like mozza would work. :)

And this is why Wikipedia is not a recognized source of information. The first sentence says: "Brick cheese is a cheese from Wisconsin, USA, made in brick-shaped form, also known as a square, which can be construed as a rectangular shape."

Uh... a brick aka a square construed as a rectangle ... who writes this crap? :wacko:

I would go for a mild white cheese, definitely not Havarti. The two taste nothing alike. I just finished a brick of brick and I love it. I hate Havarti and don't find them anything alike. Even provolone is better than Havarti for an exchange. I would go for mozzarella though.

Thanks for all the feedback.
The recipe is for a pasta casserole & I had no idea what brick cheese was. I googled it & got that same lame definition from wikipedia. The recipe calls for 8 oz of brick cheese & 2 cups of mozzarella. I was just going to do all mozzarella, but wasn't sure if that would work.

Ahh - in that case - & I apologize for it not coming to me sooner - Fontina cheese would be a perfect substitute. It has that same mild but nutty flavor that young Brick has, along with terrific melting qualities.

While there really isn't any true substitute for real "Brick Cheese", my only suggestions would be Muenster or Havarti, although both are a bit milder.

And Babetoo - "Brick Cheese" is a relatively mild, but yet very flavorful, cheese from Wisconsin. It gets a bit stronger with age, if it's a natural "Brick". I very fondly remember vacationing in the midwest & passing farmhouses with handpainted signs out front advertising it for sale. We never went thru Wisconsin without stopping & buying some. Some of those farmers had virtual cheese "caves" in their basements. It was incredible.

Commercially, the only place I've found it for sale is Wisconsin Cheese Mart. And in fact, I was just thinking of placing an order with them for both Brick Cheese & some of their Cheese Curds as well. While I've never ordered from them for myself before, I have sent cheese gifts from them to others & have received great reports back, which is good enough for me!

Wisconsin Cheese Mart-The World's Largest Selection of Wisconsin Cheese

well the older i get the more i learn. thanks for the enlightment. something new to me most every day.babe

Ahh - in that case - & I apologize for it not coming to me sooner - Fontina cheese would be a perfect substitute. It has that same mild but nutty flavor that young Brick has, along with terrific melting qualities.

Thank you so much! I will let you know how it turns out!

Hi Kerri6425,
I`m based in the UK. What is "brick Cheese" - not something I know a lot about but would like to learn. Could you give me some more information about this???????????

Regards,
Archiduc

The last cheese factory I stopped at here in Wisconsin was a few weeks ago. I had to get my favorite, aged cheddar, and some fresh curds, and then a huge brick of mild brick (though next time I'll get aged). I have to give this cheese factory high marks on being open on a Saturday and the cheese was excellent. The factory is in Theresa WI, it's called Widmer's. They have a nice link to the story of brick on their website if anyone wants to read about it. It's at www dot widmerscheese dot com .
~Blissful

Back
Top Bottom