Broth substitution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm cooking some country pork ribs and veggies in my pressure cooker. I usually add chicken broth as the cooking liquid. I do have some chicken broth, but I'd like to know what the results might be if I used up some beef broth in the fridge instead.......
I'm not too concerned about the veggies, but beef broth and pork has me wondering.

What do you think?

The flavor will be a little different. I think it's worth a try. I sometimes make rice pilaf with beef broth in place of chicken and it's a little richer and deeper in flavor.

Thanks a lot for the input, Andy. I certainly didn't want to put the beef broth in only to find out I ruined it 30 minutes later.
I'll post the taste test later

I heard or read somewhere that if you mix chicken and beef broths together, it tastes similar to veal broth. Having never tasted veal broth, I cannot attest to that, but I can say it tastes good. You might consider doing that.

I was wondering that, Constance..... in case I needed more broth. I go through more chicken broth than beef, so would have preferred to open a carton of chicken broth if I didn't have enough of the beef broth.

BTW, Alton just said broth was made from meat and stock was made from bones. I didn't know that.
What I do know is I have about 8 more minutes on the timer :)

No negligible difference to me.
The pork ribs tasted like they always do. The carrots, too. The potatoes did have a slightly different taste, like potatoes done with a roast, but there was nothing wrong with that.
We'll see what becomes of the leftover juices and veggies. I expect more of a difference there, whether it becomes a soup or whatever, but the main meal itself you really couldn't tell much of a difference.
Cool :)

I use beef broth with pork all the time, I like the flavor mix you get. It is almost like the pork takes some of the edge off the beef broth.

Back
Top Bottom