Butter substitute, dry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ask-A-Butcher

Senior Cook
Looking for a butter substitute for a chicken wing sauce that won't need refrigeration (shipping).

I'm sure there are butter 'flakes', etc, out there that can be mixed with water, but has any one tried any of them?

Thanks

I have. I use Butter Buds. They can be reconstituted in water. I would also add a little oil if you are going to mix them with hot sauce and put that on the wings. Butter Buds are just fine.

If you are talking about making a "dry" powder mix that the user will reconstitute - then the Butter Buds would work ... and you can ignore the rest of this. If you making a liquid sauce ... you might want to read on ...

The only problem with using Butter Buds is that after being reconstituted - it has to be refrigerated and only has a refrigerated shelf life of 3 days, according to the Butter Buds FAQ:

"Butter Buds has a shelf life of approximately three years when stored under cool and dry conditions. Once Butter Buds Mix is liquefied, it remains fresh in the refrigerator for up to three days. To keep Butter Buds Sprinkles free flowing make sure to close the top tightly and keep in a dry environment."

One viable option might be to use a butter flavored oil since they are already liquid and do not require refrigeration - it should work in any recipe which orignally used butter since butter is fat.

The commercial guys use something that taste and smells just like, or more like, butter than butter ... but I can't remember what it is! :angry: I know I found the information in either Shirley Corriher's Cookwise or Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking - The Science and Lore of the Kitchen (Revised Edition). You might check to see if your library has these or can get them on inter-library loan for you if you don't have them. I know I read it in one of them. I would go look this up for you but I'm in the process of getting ready to move in a week or two and I have no idea which boxes my books are packed in - or which stack of boxes in the garage they might be in.

Sorry I couldn't give you a better answer ....

Last edited:
If you are talking about making a "dry" powder mix that the user will reconstitute - then the Butter Buds would work ... and you can ignore the rest of this. If you making a liquid sauce ... you might want to read on ...

The only problem with using Butter Buds is that after being reconstituted - it has to be refrigerated and only has a refrigerated shelf life of 3 days, according to the Butter Buds FAQ:

"Butter Buds has a shelf life of approximately three years when stored under cool and dry conditions. Once Butter Buds Mix is liquefied, it remains fresh in the refrigerator for up to three days. To keep Butter Buds Sprinkles free flowing make sure to close the top tightly and keep in a dry environment."

One viable option might be to use a butter flavored oil since they are already liquid and do not require refrigeration - it should work in any recipe which orignally used butter since butter is fat.

The commercial guys use something that taste and smells just like, or more like, butter than butter ... but I can't remember what it is! :angry: I know I found the information in either Shirley Corriher's Cookwise or Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking - The Science and Lore of the Kitchen (Revised Edition). You might check to see if your library has these or can get them on inter-library loan for you if you don't have them. I know I read it in one of them. I would go look this up for you but I'm in the process of getting ready to move in a week or two and I have no idea which boxes my books are packed in - or which stack of boxes in the garage they might be in.

Sorry I couldn't give you a better answer ....

Thanks for the info!!! Who woulda thunk it??????????

I'm sending the sauce as a contest entry at a BBQ competition. More than likely the sauce would've remained 'unrefrigerated' for about a week.

I'll go back to square one and try the butter oil. Thanks again, that could've been a disaster :(

I bought some Butter Flavored Crisco today and will give it a test run this weekend. Beer? Butter Crisco? Chicken Wings? Hot sauce and smoked peppers? Real blue cheese sauce? Doubt if the 'shortening' will make much difference on the health side of it :LOL:

I don't think Butter-Flavored Crisco can be considered a substitute for butter. I guess it would be okay for frying, but I've only used it in the past in some pastry applications that called for solid shortening. Frankly I didn't see any difference between it & regular Crisco.

Well, it tasted like butter and I used it in my wing sauce entry (which won, btw :-p ). The only thing I noticed, after refrigerating the cooked sauce, there was very little hardened 'fat' to skim off the next morning.

Congrats on the WIN! :clap:

Thank you....I won a signed and autographed cookbook by 'me'
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

Back
Top Bottom