Butter substitution for Hollandaise sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

healthyeater07

Assistant Cook
I'm trying to make a healthier version of Hollandaise sauce (if at all possible) and would like to know if there's butter substitute that won't compromise the thinkness of the sauce.

Any advise and/or suggestions will be appreciated.

In all honesty, I don't think it's possible. How often do you make Hollandaise? How much do you put on your food?

I was taught, in culinary school, "Everything in Moderation". Yes, I eat some high-fat foods. However, I don't over-indulge.

Thank you so much for your advise!

This is the first time I make this sauce for a baked version of unbreaded, low-fat cheese cordon blue. I intend to use very little however, I'm concerned that the sauce is for a friend who is on a very strict low-carb, low-fat diet. I'm afraid this sauce may not be a good choice then. Any suggestions of any other sauces I could prepare?

Thank you again!

How about a really rich chicken veloute? Make a high-quality chicken stock with caramelize (sauteed or roasted) chicken scraps, with sauteed veggies. When you strain the stock, degrease it by either skimming the fat off with a ladle, or use a gravy separater. Once you've gotten to that point, either chill/freeze the stock for later use, or bring it back to a boil, and tighten with a cornstarch slurry. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

You can get powder hollandaise sauce but I don't know how much healthier it would be as I'm sure there's MSG in it. You could use margarine for the hollandaise but I'm not sure it would taste nearly as good. Like the guy above me suggested just making a new sauce would be a good idea, veloute being a prime choice. After making a good chicken stock make a roux and slowly add the stock, boom you got a veloute. After that there's a million derivetives you could make, one very typical one being a supreme sauce which is just chopped mushrooms beings lightly sauteed then adding the veloute. I got a bunch more veloute recipes if you're interested just let me know and I'll post a few.

We found this to be an acceptable substitute. Sure, it isn't Hollandaise, but for those who can't have the real thing, this isn't bad at all!

1 egg yolk
3/4 c. plain low fat yogurt
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. dry mustard

Beat egg yolk slightly in a heavy saucepan with 1/4 cup yogurt, lemon juice, salt, and mustard. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thick and smooth. Remove from heat. Slowly stir in remaining 1/2 cup yogurt; blend well. Serve warm over vegetables or store in a covered jar in refrigerator. Reheat gently over low flame.

Thanks all for your valuable inputs. I greatly appreciate your help.

GrillingFool: Wow! That recipe sounds yummy and very easy to make. Thank you sooo much!!! I can't wait to try it!

I'm trying to make a healthier version of Hollandaise sauce (if at all possible) and would like to know if there's butter substitute that won't compromise the thinkness of the sauce.

Any advise and/or suggestions will be appreciated.

Hi Healthyeater,

Yes and no.

There is within the classic cannon of cooking a version of Hollandaise made using oil - just can`t find it at the moment in my copy of Hering`s Dictionary of Classical and Modern Cookery, but one does exist.

IIRC the oil used is OO and the sauce has a speific name. I will try to track it down for you.

Hope this helps,
Archiduc

Here are a couple of possibilities. I've only listed basic ingredients. Add cayenne, parsley, black pepper, etc., as desired. Neither will give you exactly the same taste and texture as a classic hollandaise, but both are acceptable substitutes.

Yogurt Hollandaise Sauce (Low Fat)

1 cup of plain yogurt
3 egg yolks
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt

In a heavy sauce pan, whisk all ingredients together except lemon juice. Cook over low heat (or in a double boiler), stirring constantly until thickened (about 15 minutes). As you cook, the sauce will actually become thinner, then after about 10 minutes it will begin to thicken again. Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice and any other desired seasonings. Serve warm.

Buttermilk Hollandaise Sauce (Low Fat)

3/4 cup buttermilk (or 3/4 cup skim milk plus 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice or vinegar)
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1 large whole egg, lightly beaten (or 2 egg yolks)
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

Whisk buttermilk, corn starch, salt and egg together in a heavy sauce pan or double boiler until smooth. Cook over low heat, whisking until it's thick. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice and any other desired seasonings. Serve warm.

Back
Top Bottom