Buttermilk Sub.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milford

Cook
Its easier for me to mix lemon juice with whole milk to get buttermilk.
1) Can I use Lime Juice for same effect?
2) White Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar work?
3) Anything else that will work?

Buttermilk Blend is in the aisle with the canned and shelf stable milk, but, as Andy mentioned, goes in fridge after opening. Also, if you have dry ingredients (as in baking) mix the powder into your dry ingredients and add the extra water as instructed to your wet. Much easier than trying to dissolve the powder into the water first.

Update to Buttermilk Sub Question...

I know this is kind of late, but I have a question regarding the "Buttermilk Blend."

Is there enough acid in this? My hobby is making cornbread. Requires buttermilk. On some web sites, I have read that this "Blend" does not contain enough acid to get a reaction from Baking Soda. Any comments?

If I use the lemon juice with whole milk, and leave this in the fridge overnight in a glass jar, does anyone know if enough gas/pressure will form to explode the glass jar?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
I know this is kind of late, but I have a question regarding the "Buttermilk Blend."

Is there enough acid in this? My hobby is making cornbread. Requires buttermilk. On some web sites, I have read that this "Blend" does not contain enough acid to get a reaction from Baking Soda. Any comments?

If I use the lemon juice with whole milk, and leave this in the fridge overnight in a glass jar, does anyone know if enough gas/pressure will form to explode the glass jar?

Thanks for any help.

I use it in my cornbread recipe all the time. The powder goes in with the dry ingredients and I add the water with the wet ingredients. I get perfect cornbread every time.

Thanks for any help.

It's been my experience that there's no need to do an overnight process. When I'm out of buttermilk, I just put a tablespoon of lemon juice in a measuring cup and add enough milk to make 1 cup. Then I put it on my countertop and let it rest while I prepare the rest of my ingredients. By the time I need it, it's clotted enough to use.

Never had any experience with "blend" as you mentioned.

I've never had a problem using it. In fact, I used it tonight in our dumplings and it worked just fine.

I've used this for years now in
ANYTHING that calls for Buttermilk!
Buttermilk Blend
We don't drink buttermilk, so therefore
I don't have it on hand, nor do I
keep lemons readily available either.
This powdered buttermilk works great
in any recipe I've made that calls for
buttermilk, AND it keeps in the `fridge FOR EVER
(I just bought a new container and it's good until the end of 2021)!

I've used this for years now in
ANYTHING that calls for Buttermilk!
Buttermilk Blend
We don't drink buttermilk, so therefore
I don't have it on hand, nor do I
keep lemons readily available either.
This powdered buttermilk works great
in any recipe I've made that calls for
buttermilk, AND it keeps in the `fridge FOR EVER
(I just bought a new container and it's good until the end of 2021)!

Thank you for posting this... :)
Years ago, I kept this or another brand on hand.. I'd forgotten all about it (along with many things as I've aged) and while the lemon/vinegar/milk thing works, I recall that this product was/is superior..

Ross

Thank you for posting this... :)
Years ago, I kept this or another brand on hand.. I'd forgotten all about it (along with many things as I've aged) and while the lemon/vinegar/milk thing works, I recall that this product was/is superior..

Ross

I follow the recipe on their website for Buttermilk Waffles.
I mix up a batch, leave it sit on the counter for a while,
as the Waffle Iron heats, it puffs up real nice like,
and it's time for brunch

waffle brunch.jpg

My aunt gave me a recipe for waffles that is outstanding. You have to separate the eggs and whip the whites and fold them in. I found it just recently because DD asked for it and I have to type it up for her and will post it when I do. It's the best recipe I have found for waffles, bar true Leige waffles, I have ever had.

My aunt gave me a recipe for waffles that is outstanding. You have to separate the eggs and whip the whites and fold them in. I found it just recently because DD asked for it and I have to type it up for her and will post it when I do. It's the best recipe I have found for waffles, bar true Leige waffles, I have ever had.

OH! Please do med, DH loves waffles.
I remember somewhere far in the recess of my brain,
making pancakes utilizing that technique...

My BH&G 1978 edition called "Complete Step-By-Step Cook Book has the waffle recipe I've used since that time.. It calls for whipping the whites separately also..

I recall using an old fashioned yeast recipe, just to try something different and old.. That was a good recipe but, the BH&G remains my go to..

Ross

Back
Top Bottom