Can I substitute tomato purée with fresh tomato in pasta Bolognaise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kenny Wong

Assistant Cook
Can I chopped fresh tomatoes into the Bolognaise sauce instead of pouring a can of tomato puree? Because what I am thinking is that I should not use processed tomatoes since fresh ones are abundant in my place.

But the taste between the fresh one and the concentrated one is so different. I wonder what in the process that makes it so.

Can I chopped fresh tomatoes into the Bolognaise sauce instead of pouring a can of tomato puree? Because what I am thinking is that I should not use processed tomatoes since fresh ones are abundant in my place.

But the taste between the fresh one and the concentrated one is so different. I wonder what in the process that makes it so.

Tomato puree is a cooked product.

I'd take the seeds and gel out of the fresh tomatoes and puree the pulp in a food processor.

You will need quite a bit more fresh tomato, processed through a food mill and cooked down to get the same results in your sauce as the puree.;) A lot of work when you consider the quality of tomatoes at most grocery stores.

The gel contains a lot of the flavor of the tomatoes. When I use fresh tomatoes, I cut them in half and grate the cut sides on the large holes of a box grater into a large bowl.

Back
Top Bottom