Can I use plain yogurt as sub for mayo in egg salad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
Can I use plain yogurt as sub for mayo in egg salad? I have to make it for someone that is allergic to citrus and many mayos have lemon juice.

Sure you can, but you'll need to add something to give the yogurt some zing! I'd try adding a splash of some good wine vinegar.

I see more and more TV chefs subbing yogurt for mayo on the healthy eating shows. I haven't tried it, but I've seen it done.

I use Greek yogurt in place of sour cream all the time... tastes a little like a low fat sour cream. Is excellent in dishes like stroganoff, on tacos, etc!
It has a bit more "tang" then regular yogurt.

Haven't tried it in a cold salad dish yet, but will soon.

Can I use plain yogurt as sub for mayo in egg salad? I have to make it for someone that is allergic to citrus and many mayos have lemon juice.

I use Greek yogurt in many things, but personally, I can't wrap my head around egg salad without mayo. If this person is that allergic to citrus, I think I'd make my own mayo with vinegar instead of lemon. It's really easy to make.

I use it all the time in my chicken salad. I have used it in tuna and egg and it works great. I like to add a little bit of dill or parsley to my egg salad, and usually add a touch of mayo, but it can be omitted completely with not a whole lot of effect on taste.

Yogurt is a great replacement for mayo. For a thicker version place yogurt in cheese cloth and place over a bowl with an elastic band over bowl to secure cheese cloth. Place in fridge, Let the water drip from it for about an hour or two. You'll have a great thick yogurt that is the same consistency as mayo, then spice it up a bit, salt, pepper, lemon juice and rind, dijon mustard, chipotle, well just about any thing....:)

I use Greek yogurt in many things, but personally, I can't wrap my head around egg salad without mayo. If this person is that allergic to citrus, I think I'd make my own mayo with vinegar instead of lemon. It's really easy to make.

It's a bit trickier now that we are supposed to worry about raw eggs. I have a Julia Child recipe for mayo where the eggs aren't raw, but I haven't gotten around to trying it.

It's a bit trickier now that we are supposed to worry about raw eggs. I have a Julia Child recipe for mayo where the eggs aren't raw, but I haven't gotten around to trying it.

You are so right TL......I havn't made mayo since all the raw egg hoopla.
This article tells what to do, so I'll be doing what they said to the yolks.
I do my mayo in a processor like the kid in the video.
http://hubpages.com/hub/Safe_homema...ique_that_guarantees_safe_homemade_mayonnaise

I just (like 10 minutes ago) saw Julia use butter, asparagus, shallot, and mayo in deviled eggs. She said the butter gives it a silky feel. So I am betting that if you use butter and yogurt you will be able to replicate that mayo mouth feel. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom