Can I use vanilla extract instead of vanilla powder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

appledee

Assistant Cook
Hi All,

My first question here... =) I'm a novice in baking. Just starting out, and loving it!

The recipe I'm following calls for 1 tsp of vanilla powder. I'm assuming it's the instant powder. I have abundance of vanilla extract from previous baking project. Can I replace the vanilla powder with vanilla extract? It's just for taste or it has other function?

Thanks in advance!!!

Dee

Do you have other wet ingredients? I found that vanilla extract often leaves that alcohol flavor unless it really gets cooked out. I'd be careful substituting in any kind of baked product...

I have no experience with vanilla powder, appledee. I've only used vanilla extract in all my baked recipes. There are others here at DC who are far more versed in such things. Have patience. Help will arrive.

Are you talking about Oetker Original Vanilla Sugar?

If this is what you mean, the package says, one pouch (9 grams or .32 oz) is equal to 1-2 teaspoons of vanilla depending upon the recipe.

Last edited:
thanks all, it's actually a recipe for an Indonesian cake. Over there, vanilla extract and fresh milk is not as common as in US, so instead they would use vanilla powder and instant milk powder. so, I'm a bit confused with the conversion.

Anyways, as a novice, I should probably stick with easier recipes first before venturing into less common recipes.... :ermm:

I use both extract and powder at various times. Usually if I don't want to darken the color, I use the powder, which is white.

For the most part, they are interchangeable. The little bit of additional liquid won't matter in most things. However, the extract will discolor something which is meant to be pure white. And if what you're making is not cooked, there may be a slight alcohol flavor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom