"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 07-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Can red tomatoes be substituted for green tomatoes?

If a recipe calls for green tomatoes, can red tomatoes be substituted? My grocery store doesn't seem to carry green tomatoes. Would the texture be too different? In this particular case, it's going into a type of corn relish.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
The texture will definitely be different because green tomatoes are quite a bit firmer than red ones. Also, green tomatoes have a taste that has a tartness that the red ones lack. You might want to add some lemon juice to the mix if you decide to use red tomatoes.

Don't you have someone who has a garden that you can beg some green tomatoes from? That would be ideal. Plus, you could bribe them by promising them a portion of your creation.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Can you find tomatillos? That texture would more closely resemble the texture and taste of green tomatoes than red tomatoes would.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Can you find tomatillos? That texture would more closely resemble the texture and taste of green tomatoes than red tomatoes would.
Good point, Dawg. I'd forgotten about them.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

It will definitely make a difference in the flavor and texture, but you can substitute ripe tomatoes. Zucchini might be a good sub as well.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Yes, I can use tomatillos. In fact, this recipe calls for equal parts green tomatoes and tomatillos, so maybe I'll just use the full amount in tomatillos.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Of course you can use them, but that doesn't mean you will like the end result. There a huge difference in the flavor of green tomatoes and red tomatoes. As a side note, I have never seen tomatoes sold as "green tomatoes" in the grocery store. I've seen plenty of pinkish tomatoes being sold as ripe tomatoes, but I would not use them in a green tomato recipe. To be honest, and to share a secret, it's for the green tomatoes that we plant tomatoes in our yard.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
Of course you can use them, but that doesn't mean you will like the end result. There a huge difference in the flavor of green tomatoes and red tomatoes. As a side note, I have never seen tomatoes sold as "green tomatoes" in the grocery store. I've seen plenty of pinkish tomatoes being sold as ripe tomatoes, but I would not use them in a green tomato recipe. To be honest, and to share a secret, it's for the green tomatoes that we plant tomatoes in our yard.
I've never seen green tomatoes at the grocers either.

I agree, I just can't see subbing red toms, particularily in a crisp-style relish recipe.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I don't grow my own produce so that's why the only option I had was to look in the grocery store. For what it's worth, I have seen green tomatoes in my grocery store, they just don't have them consistently enough to be replied upon when planning a recipe.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Just a very strange thought, your local garden center or Walmart might have tomato plants with green tomatoes on them, and I would think they'd be pretty cheap right now.

Otherwise, I would use the tomatillos.

Tags
tomatoes