Cream sherry/dry sherry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
not at all! Cream Sherry is very sweet. VERY sweet. "Dry" Sherry is either Fino or Manzanilla -- and it is on the other end of the Sherry spectrum.

If you would flavor your chicken with vanilla ice cream, then perhaps Cream sherry would be okay. I'm not being snide, just giving you an idea of the difference between the flavors of the two types of Sherry. In between them is a couple of other Sherries that are less sweet than Cream, and more sweet than Fino.

Hope this helps. :)

It really depends though on what you are cooking cos while the posts above are absolutely correct, if you were say making a sherry cream sauce you can use whatever sherry you have to hand. The sauce will taste different in each instance but it will still do what it was meant to do. Likewise if you were soaking cake for a trifle, use whichever you have to hand.

If you were cooking a Spanish dish where the sherry flavour is integral to the dish, then you would be better advised to getting something very close to that stated in the recipe.

Personally though, I would be reluctant to use cream sherry in any dish. Keep it for drinking if you are so inclined and buy a medium to dry sherry for cooking which is a bit more versatile.

I think cream sherry tastes just like prune juice!

Sweet, delicious and warms the cockles on a cold winter night before bed.

Lee

LOL - really?? I quite like prune juice but cream sherry....

If you like prune juice Lee, you might like to try a very good quality Balsamic vinegar as an apertif. It has a very plummy, rich taste. Don't try it on one of the lower quality ones as it isn't the same at all! The good stuff though is like drinking a good Italian fruit liquor/wine. (No hangover though - well not that I recall anyway!!! LOL)

I entirely agree with the cream vs dry sherry advice.

But many years ago I had a recipe for mushrooms with shallots and cream sherry with Scotch whisky. Unofrtunately have not seen it for over thirty years and don't remember it all. But it was very tasty. And I don't like boozy food but it did not taste that way.

Have tried to make it using the bit I remember and the stuff ain't bad but nothing like that I vaguely remember.

So there are dishes with cream sherry that might be surprising, as that was to me. But with rare exceptions they should be treated as very different beasts.

I may be laughed right off this board, but I use cream sherry in cooking. I chop fresh ginger into chunks, and cover it with cream sherry and keep it in the fridge.

I use the sherry in Chinese stir fry, usually in combination with garlic, chili sauce and soy sauce. It adds a little sweetness to the dish.

Storing ginger in sherry is not unusual. Nor is using it as a substitute of Asian wine in stir frys. Usually it is dry sherry.

Depends on what you are making. Perhaps you could share your recipe...:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Chocolate Cream Pie
  • 1 1/3 c. sugar
  • 1/4 c. cocoa
  • 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 2/3 cup evaporated milk
  • 2 Tbs butter
  • 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
Mix 1 1/3 cups sugar, flour and cocoa in saucepan. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thick. Add small amount hot mixture to egg yolks, add back to mixture and cook on low heat until very thick. Stir in vanilla. Cool 5 minutes. Spread in baked pie shell. Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla until foamy. Beat in sugar (1/3 cup) gradually until stiff and glossy. Spread on filling. Bake in 350 degree oven until golden brown.

Chocolate Cream Pie

• 1 1/3 c. sugar
  • 1/4 c. cocoa
  • 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 2/3 cup evaporated milk
  • 2 Tbs butter
  • 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
Mix 1 1/3 cups sugar, flour and cocoa in saucepan. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thick. Add small amount hot mixture to egg yolks, add back to mixture and cook on low heat until very thick. Stir in vanilla. Cool 5 minutes. Spread in baked pie shell. Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla until foamy. Beat in sugar (1/3 cup) gradually until stiff and glossy. Spread on filling. Bake in 350 degree oven until golden brown.

Tartar sauce will work as a substitute here. Just add a cup of the sauce to the egg whites and proceed with the recipe.:angel:

Back
Top Bottom