Cream substitute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Shot

Assistant Cook
Is there really anything you can use to substitute for heavy cream? For instance.... Creamy tomato soup, I want to make it healthier than the 3 cups of heavy cream allows. is there a "health food" option for it that anyone knows of??

Is there really anything you can use to substitute for heavy cream? For instance.... Creamy tomato soup, I want to make it healthier than the 3 cups of heavy cream allows. is there a "health food" option for it that anyone knows of??
You might try using a low fat milk instead. You won't get that rich heavyness of cream but the soup should taste good just don't add as much milk as the recipe calls for just a little at a time til you get the thickness you like.
kadesma

Your other option is to use less cream than the recipe calls for. It will not be the same, but it will be healthier.

Maybe some evaporated milk? I think there's 2% and I know there's skim......
I made a tomato soup with that not too long ago.

As Saph said, I will often use silken tofu. Ground cashews add a nice creaminess to soup too. For pure thickening, plain old corn starch and skim milk would also be options.

Leave the recipe as is and just eat less of it and have a lighter dinner. :chef:
Normally I would agree, however, we already only eat a small serving (I would say first course size) and get pretty full off of it and just two slices of french loaf.

I think next time we are going to try 1 cup of half and half and 1 cup of puree'd cauliflower, and another 1/2 cup of stock. It will replace the 2 3/4 cups of cream just fine I think and the extra veggies are always a bonus :).

Silken tofu, coconut milk/cream, soft nuts (such as cashews, pine nuts, etc.) blended with water in a 1:1 ratio. The last one is my personal favorite for savory dishes. There are many other options as well!

Normally I would agree, however, we already only eat a small serving (I would say first course size) and get pretty full off of it and just two slices of french loaf.

I think next time we are going to try 1 cup of half and half and 1 cup of puree'd cauliflower, and another 1/2 cup of stock. It will replace the 2 3/4 cups of cream just fine I think and the extra veggies are always a bonus :).

Let us know how it turns out. Myself, I often thicken soups with pureed potato or carrots but nothing gives you that velvety smooth texture like cream or butter; then again, 2 2/3 cups of it does seem a bit excessive.
:LOL:

Personally, if there isn't a dairy allergy or anything, you are better off subbing a dairy product for cream. Tofu, nuts and veggies give you body and texture but don't even come close to the taste and mouthfeel of cream.

And I cook dairy free every day for someone with a severe allergy.

Tofu, nuts and veggies give you body and texture but don't even come close to the taste and mouthfeel of cream.

I can definitely agree with that. And in reality, the 2 3/4 cups IS spread between 8-10 servings, so is isn't that bad. We just wanted to see if we could make it even healthier without sacrificing on the flavor (at least not too much).

I remember when they halfed the fat in the cream of chicken - all it called for was 1/2 can of milk and 1/2 can of water (instead of a full can of milk!). Could you try that?

Yup, lots!

Creamy tomato soup - might contain milk and cream but should not require an uncomfortable quantity of either and certainly not 3 cups of heavy cream.

You are looking at the wrong recipe. How would you like it to taste???

Have you ever tasted a really good.... org***m** tomato soup of onions, diced and sautéed, add lots and lots, and lots of tomatoes, bayleaf, sprig(s) of thyme, dash of Worcestershire sauce, tablespoon of tomato purée, stock - the best you can afford.

Purée in a mouli-legumes, replace in clean pan pan, add a little slaked cornflour and tomato paste with liquid to thicken. Allow to simmer for 3 minutes.

First get the sofrito:

*onion;
*carrot;
*celery

All cleaned, finely dice and sautéed and sweatéd to make a soup.

Add the tomatoes (ripened or canned) to make a rich tomato soup but take care to add flavourigs - the bayleaf, the sprig of thyme.

Purée, season and taste, thicken if necessary with cornstarch/corrnflour.

Cook for 3-5 minutes to allow the starches to cook. Plain four requires 7-10 minutes to cook and cornflour 3-5minutes to cook.

Long live tomato soup!

Archiduc

Back
Top Bottom