"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 12-20-2007, 06:52 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I've spent a lot of time in a lot of restaurant kitchens, and when "Cognac" is called for in a recipe, the chef usually picks up a bottle of generic brandy. All Cognac is brandy, all brandy is NOT Cognac. That comes only from the Cognac region of France. I have both brandy and Cognac in my liquor cabinet, and let me tell you, I don't cook with the Cognac. DeVille is a goodie, as is E&J, and neither will set you back more than about $12. As well, they will keep "until you use them" and if you wanted to sip them, they are tasty enough to be fine drinking.

Please don't buy anything labeled "Cooking" wine. It is always poor quality, has salt added, and for the amount you are purchasing, VERY expensive. If you choose to go with Sherry, be advised that you'll need "Fino" or it will make your dish sweeter than you probably want.
Oh I never once said that I would cook with sherry, I'm just saying if you're looking for a substitute, that's an option.

The point of my original post was to point out that if a person didn't have cognac in their house, the odds were very, very slim they'd have brandy (which again, is basically the same thing). Again, if two products are fundamentally the same, it's not really a substitute. That's like saying you substitute Crisco nonstick spray for Pam. Same things.

Personally, if something calls for brandy OR cognac, I pull out a bottle of Remy Martin XO. Yes, I realize it's absurdly expensive to cook with, but I like it. And if I like it, it's worth it.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:56 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinfresh View Post
Personally, if something calls for brandy OR cognac, I pull out a bottle of Remy Martin XO. Yes, I realize it's absurdly expensive to cook with, but I like it. And if I like it, it's worth it.
+1.......not absurd.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:53 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinfresh View Post
Oh I never once said that I would cook with sherry, I'm just saying if you're looking for a substitute, that's an option.
It's perfectly fine to cook with sherry. Lovely, in fact.

Chef J's point was that "cooking sherry" (the stuff sold in the supermarket) is nasty, salty and generally should be avoided.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:33 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post

Chef J's point was that "cooking sherry" (the stuff sold in the supermarket) is nasty, salty and generally should be avoided.

Which was/is a darn good point!!! Who buys that stuff anyway?

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:25 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post

Eh, I wouldn't touch sherry for anything but drinking (and even then it's gotta be the right kind). Anytime I find a recipe that calls for sherry, I've almost universally found that a tawny port works better.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:41 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Who buys that stuff anyway?
Cooking sherry was originally developed to make it practically undrinkable so the cook wouldn't be nipping at it, so my guess would be, someone who employs an alcoholic cook.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:50 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
Cooking sherry was originally developed to make it practically undrinkable so the cook wouldn't be nipping at it, so my guess would be, someone who employs an alcoholic cook.

Or someone who has no taste (buds)

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:04 PM   #18
Executive Chef

If you are gonna cook with sherry you need to get the different sherries from Spain.They are the best and affordable.As for cognac get the cheapest and it will keep forever and is great in sauces