De-glazing Cognac alternative

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nessin

Assistant Cook
I've got a reciepe I'm trying out that requires 3 tablespoots of Cognac. The process calls for heating oil in a pan and heating 1/2 cup of red onion until translucent. Then put in three tablespoons of Cognac and reduce for 2 minutes.

Is there any way to substituate and alternative in there? I'm not going to go out and get a bottle of Cognac for just three tablespoons in a reciepe, since I won't do anything with it after that. So am I down to a bit of water and scrape the pan, or do I do something else?

I don't drink Cognac enough to buy a bottle at the price they ask so when a recipe calls for Cognac, I use Brandy. Many more recipes call for Brandy, and I put it in my applesauce to give it a special kick. Just as good as Cognac, no one would ever know the difference, the taste is almost the same and it's so much cheaper. You can buy the cheapest brand of Brandy and still come out ahead.

DramaQueen is right - brandy will work just as well as cognac.

The reason for the cognac/brandy is for the flavor it adds to the dish ... you could use bourbon or dark rum (the flavor will be different) or just leave it out.

You don't say what the recipe is - so it's hard to say how much the impact will be .... I know if it was something like Steak Diane - it wouldn't be the same without it!

Brandy isn't really a substitute--brandy and cognac are essentially the same thing (in principle--I'm a cognac snob so yes I understand that they aren't exactly alike).

Sherry is usually a good substitute. You can get cooking sherry incredibly cheap.

Many liquor stores sell "nips" or single serving bottles of many alcoholic beverages including brandies, whiskeys, gins, vodkas, etc. Check out your local booze outlet for these small bottles, they're ideal for cooking.

The Brandy is a substitude, the question is if nessin has some at home. Question was asked only because there was no cognac available at home.

Many liquor stores sell "nips" or single serving bottles of many alcoholic beverages including brandies, whiskeys, gins, vodkas, etc. Check out your local booze outlet for these small bottles, they're ideal for cooking.

We have a huge souvenier shop here in Vegas, actually the world's largest souvenier shop across from the Sahara Hotel. This is where I get my little single serving bottles. They're the size they serve on planes and it works great for me since I only use things like Grand Marnier, Sambucco, Baileys and other liqeuers like that only occasionally. I have about 30 bottles and they serve their purpose once or twice. Many liquor stores sell them.

I keep a cheap bottle of brandy and cognac next to my cooking oils. They are great ingredients for sauces, mushrooms....all kinds of stuff. I can't be without those two items in my kitchen.

Cognac is a particular type of brandy.

It is a brandy which must be made in France in or near the town of Cognac using a very specific method.

Thus, cognac is almost always much more expensive than regular brandy. There is no such thing as "cheap" cognac.

Brandy is a good substitute in cooking.

But it's there primarily for the taste, so you can deglaze with anything you think would taste good in the recipe -- brandy, sherry, vermouth, wine, rum, bourbon, broth, water ....

Last edited:
Brandy isn't really a substitute--brandy and cognac are essentially the same thing (in principle--I'm a cognac snob so yes I understand that they aren't exactly alike).

Sherry is usually a good substitute. You can get cooking sherry incredibly cheap.

I've spent a lot of time in a lot of restaurant kitchens, and when "Cognac" is called for in a recipe, the chef usually picks up a bottle of generic brandy. All Cognac is brandy, all brandy is NOT Cognac. That comes only from the Cognac region of France. I have both brandy and Cognac in my liquor cabinet, and let me tell you, I don't cook with the Cognac. DeVille is a goodie, as is E&J, and neither will set you back more than about $12. As well, they will keep "until you use them" and if you wanted to sip them, they are tasty enough to be fine drinking.

Please don't buy anything labeled "Cooking" wine. It is always poor quality, has salt added, and for the amount you are purchasing, VERY expensive. If you choose to go with Sherry, be advised that you'll need "Fino" or it will make your dish sweeter than you probably want. :ohmy:

I've spent a lot of time in a lot of restaurant kitchens, and when "Cognac" is called for in a recipe, the chef usually picks up a bottle of generic brandy. All Cognac is brandy, all brandy is NOT Cognac. That comes only from the Cognac region of France. I have both brandy and Cognac in my liquor cabinet, and let me tell you, I don't cook with the Cognac. DeVille is a goodie, as is E&J, and neither will set you back more than about $12. As well, they will keep "until you use them" and if you wanted to sip them, they are tasty enough to be fine drinking.

Please don't buy anything labeled "Cooking" wine. It is always poor quality, has salt added, and for the amount you are purchasing, VERY expensive. If you choose to go with Sherry, be advised that you'll need "Fino" or it will make your dish sweeter than you probably want. :ohmy:

Oh I never once said that I would cook with sherry, I'm just saying if you're looking for a substitute, that's an option.

The point of my original post was to point out that if a person didn't have cognac in their house, the odds were very, very slim they'd have brandy (which again, is basically the same thing). Again, if two products are fundamentally the same, it's not really a substitute. That's like saying you substitute Crisco nonstick spray for Pam. Same things.

Personally, if something calls for brandy OR cognac, I pull out a bottle of Remy Martin XO. Yes, I realize it's absurdly expensive to cook with, but I like it. And if I like it, it's worth it.

Oh I never once said that I would cook with sherry, I'm just saying if you're looking for a substitute, that's an option.

It's perfectly fine to cook with sherry. Lovely, in fact.

Chef J's point was that "cooking sherry" (the stuff sold in the supermarket) is nasty, salty and generally should be avoided.

It's perfectly fine to cook with sherry. Lovely, in fact.

Chef J's point was that "cooking sherry" (the stuff sold in the supermarket) is nasty, salty and generally should be avoided.

Eh, I wouldn't touch sherry for anything but drinking (and even then it's gotta be the right kind). Anytime I find a recipe that calls for sherry, I've almost universally found that a tawny port works better.

:)If you are gonna cook with sherry you need to get the different sherries from Spain.They are the best and affordable.As for cognac get the cheapest and it will keep forever and is great in sauces

Back
Top Bottom