"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 09-22-2016, 08:32 AM   #21
Master Chef

Hi, Charlie D.,

I think that Craig D. suggested about using a brine first, had a great idea!!!.......buttermilk is acidic and therefore tenderizes....there i can vouch that I have never had a chicken or turkey that I've had that's been brined that wasn't amazing......my German grandmother would soak her chicken in salt water before we left for church (at least an hour and a half before Grandpa could poke her to get moving..:) and then roll it in flour and seasonings when we got home and fried it....brine it and then roll it in seasoned flour......you have nothing to lose if you start with a young model of a hen.........but it really was the best.......and I know for a fact that she did not use milk.......

Old 09-22-2016, 10:02 AM   #22
Sous Chef

Does it have to be Southern deep fried chicken or will Chinese do?

Old 09-22-2016, 10:25 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
Hi, Charlie D.,

I think that Craig D. suggested about using a brine first, had a great idea!!!.......buttermilk is acidic and therefore tenderizes....there i can vouch that I have never had a chicken or turkey that I've had that's been brined that wasn't amazing......my German grandmother would soak her chicken in salt water before we left for church (at least an hour and a half before Grandpa could poke her to get moving..:) and then roll it in flour and seasonings when we got home and fried it....brine it and then roll it in seasoned flour......you have nothing to lose if you start with a young model of a hen.........but it really was the best.......and I know for a fact that she did not use milk.......
As I noted above, modern chicken is already tender - there is no more need for tenderizing agents.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:29 AM   #24
Master Chef

it's not so much for tenderizing these days and I agree with you, GG, but it just adds so much flavor in my opinion..........
Old 09-22-2016, 11:29 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
it's not so much for tenderizing these days and I agree with you, GG, but it just adds so much flavor in my opinion..........
Oh. I guess I was confused since you said it's good for tenderizing It seems to me that tenderizing tender meat might make it mushy.

I can't say I noticed a difference in flavor when I did try it, although that was many years ago. Doesn't seem worth the effort to me.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:37 PM   #26
Master Chef

well it is worth the effort for me and the flavor is amazing depending on what you use (apple juice is wonderful for flavor).........it's the juiciness factor that's worth it.......most turkey meats and chicken breasts tend to be dry for the most part......brining imparts juiciness........probably has something to do with the sodium ionization/balance factor.......
Old 09-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
well it is worth the effort for me and the flavor is amazing depending on what you use (apple juice is wonderful for flavor).........it's the juiciness factor that's worth it.......most turkey meats and chicken breasts tend to be dry for the most part......brining imparts juiciness........probably has something to do with the sodium ionization/balance factor.......
I was talking about soaking in buttermilk.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:08 PM   #28
Master Chef

both are great.........what's your method?
Old 09-22-2016, 02:19 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
both are great.........what's your method?
I posted it back in May: Deep fried chicken
Old 09-22-2016, 02:27 PM   #30
Master Chef

I only arrived in the US in the last month and rejoined the sight.........so I will look for it..........thanks GotGarlic....:)

Tags
chicken